Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

anyone have $20M they could lend me?

article here

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Or insurance?

To insure that car even just for show or DE type track purposes would cost what?

Talked with a friend this weekend who showed me pictures of his rare absolutely cherry red numbers matching '65 Pontiac GTO tri-power just after it went up in smoke as he started it up in the garage for the first time in 6 months. Value ~$50k, Insured for ~$20k because of a 10 year old appraisal. Sad story. Sold the remnants for parts.

No doubt special gas needed too.

And where do you find the mechanic and parts for one of these?
when i moved here, i gave my swiss registration papers to the border services agency so that just in case i wanted to bring my boxster over, i could do so tax free (it would have been included in my original allowance when moving over here.) the boxster will be 15 years old (from date of manufacture, not first registration) next spring some time. last year when i was in switzerland, i visited my friend who bought it and asked him if he would sell it back to me in a couple of years. he said "maybe." i would only do it for the emotional value, obviously not the practical or economic value. although it would be cool to have a euro boxster with its slight differences like no bumperettes and alcantara seats. but alas, i don't think i would do it anyway. i just don't drive enough here. only 15,000 km on the car i bought over 5 years ago. just for insurance it's costing stupid money. it would be worse for the boxster. maybe if i win the lotto i'll buy a new one WITH PDK!! grinning smiley

--
... it's good to see you're still around.
I would guess that in Canada it would be the same as in the US where you can request a low mileage policy.
The insurance company will heavily discount the premiums when you agree not to drive over 5,000 or 7,000 miles pe year.
Once or twice per year they will mail you an affidavit where you state your current mileage just to keep you honest.
When my Boxster was a garage queen in '98 & '99 I requested and got such a policy from State Farm.
The regular payment back then was $475/ year and it was reduced to $175.
It would be nice to see you in your old car again.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2014 05:35PM by Pedro (Weston, FL). (view changes)
Re: frogster ...
frogster - 9 years ago
pedro, believe me, i've toyed with the idea but it's just not going to happen. i barely put on 2k miles/year here. i live downtown and walk or use public transport nearly everywhere. traffic is terrible in the city. if i were to do it, it would be much more reasonable to just buy a used 986. insurance would still be a lot as here they don't have the low mileage policy that you're talking about. +parking, service, etc. for the very few miles/km i do. maybe one day but not in the immediate future that i can see.
and frankly the truth is that my greatest joy of owning the boxster in switzerland was the mountain driving. the base of the jura mountains were a few blocks from my place and the alps were an hour's drive. top down through the alpine twisties was heaven and i drove quite fast from time to time. i look back at a couple of instances where had i made a slight mistake, i might not be here to type this post. so, i've been there, done that, and lived to tell the tale.

--
Only if I had one of those garages with a wall of glass into the family room so you can see it parked, like it was a sculpture on display. But, if I had $20 mill to spend on a car, I could build said glass garage.
Sure it's not a kit?? The real ones are so expensive and rare that you are way more likely to see a replica than a real one.

On Labor Day I was at the Lime Rock Historics in the Porsche corral, and the 'kit' Speedsters and 550 Spyders were bumming me out. Spectators were drooling all over them, none the wiser, and never giving my Boxster a second glance (not that I cared). I don't have a problem with kits per-se, much like I don't have an issue with homage watches , but if you wanna drive a kit, it sure shouldn't say 'P-O-R-S-C-H-E' along the back, no matter how well made (IMHO). Hope I haven't offended anybody, but seriously, if you can't afford to drive one, then.....

- JohnL
Boston
986 S
what, twenty-million dollars is not expensive enough for you? i don't think a kit would go for that much!

--
I have heard that Lamborghini owners have always considered it a lesser car. Current auction values don't concur with that notion.

For me, an '88 or '89 Carrera Turbo or an F430.
Funny how so many cars, especially Italian exotics, had just about exactly 186 mph as a claimed top speed. Hmmm... that's 300 kph, a nice round number and something to do with the speed of light.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2014 06:24AM by Laz. (view changes)
--
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login