Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Several years ago, i did the AOS in my 2004. It was messy, laborious, but overall uneventful. Saturday i did the same job on my 2000S. The mechanical design of the older style AOS (and the block) makes the process very different, as I'll explain.

The 2003-4 style AOS has the securing bolts as well as the push-fit nipple (both of which go to the block/crankcase) facing directly down. You can simply push it down to seat, from above. On the older style (in my case MT2000) the blots and the push-fit nipple are at a ~90 degree angle, facing in toward the center of the car. There is no access t push directly, nor any convenient want to get a lever on it.

In my case anyway, it took a lot of force to seat the nipple. Even after I pushed as best I could, and secured to two bolts, about 1/8” of the orange nipple remains visible (the other 3/8-1/2” is in the block). I see no leaks, but it bothers me.

How did others deal with this? Can I get access if I were to raise the car higher and remove the diagonal brace? Do I need Gandalf’s staff?

Anyway, if others have wrestled with this, any experience or advice is appreciated.

TIA,
Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
It went on quite easily after that.

And there are bolts that hold it in place sideways.
I have the bolts in and snug, and yet the nipple is not flush.

UI really hate to do this again, what a PITA

Thanks, Stefan

Grant

Old style AOS, and yes it was a pain in the butt, but doable. It definitely helped to take the RR wheel off and get at it from below. And it is a bit of a pain to get the flex tube and bottom connection all lined up with the bolts. As far as how far to insert the bottom 90 degree tube, I did not worry about pressing it in too far - I let the bolts do that as I tightened them up. I was satisfied that all was OK when the bolts tightened up and no leaks.
I believe i didn't grease it enough. Others also report that if lubed, its not so bad ( oddly, the rest of the job was far easier than i feared).

it is possible that my AOS was every so slightly out of spec...

Grant

Grant

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login