Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Last week I had an awful graunching noise from one rear break drum. When I pulled the disk I found both springs that pull the shoes to the back plate were floating indide the drum, twisted up.

I cleaned the inside of the drum with my Dremel, fitted new shoes and adjusted them to my Bentley manual. The disk is worn right to the min thickness.

Having just driven the car it's done exactly the same thing again! Arrrrrrrgh!

I'm reasoning that the drum could be worn rippled and oversize, allowing the shoes to bind and twist?

My plan is to fit a pair of new disks, re-adjust the shoes and cross my fingers!

Any thoughts please?

Marty (UK) 1999 Boxster 2.5 manual
At the end of the parking brake cable is a hinged metal piece. Over time it can get corroded or bent and foul up operation. You can purchase the part separately.
because the emergency brake, at least on one wheel, is dragging.

Really, the emergency brake should never have to deal with a moving car, except maybe in the case of a true emergency.

There could also be collateral damage (or just wear) to where the brake shoes nest, that results in the brake shoes not be as secure as they would be otherwise and even if there is no dragging some unavoidable movement with the brakes engaged is enough.

When you fit new discs be sure to check the place where the shoes attach and nest for any signs of damage. If there is any damage (or just wear) even with a new disc and new shoes there can be too much play and the shoes could come loose again.
The aluminium piece that resists rotation of the shoes is worn a bit angled. I squared it up slightly with a dremel. Also the old drum was worn more close to the open end.

The cable linkage looks OK.
from moving completely out of contact with the drum.
Very good point, I'll check it out. Is it much of a job to fit new cables?
and the wheels off -- or whatever it takes to expose as much of the brake hardware and linkage as possible -- and have someone apply the parking brake while you observe. You want to make sure the movement of the linkage and hardware on both sides when the brakes are applied and then when the brakes are released is the same and the movement is smooth with no signs of any binding.
Turned out the hinged link on the end of the cablle had siezed with rust. Just like your photo, but not quite as advanced.

I cleaned it up and lubed the joint, adjusted the star wheel and cable turn buckle in the centre consul, now it works just fine. New shoes, disks and springs.

Thanks for all the sound advice. smileys with beer

Marty (UK) 1999 Boxster 2.5 manual
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login