Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-02-02/january-auto-sales-porsche.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2011 04:52PM by mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC. (view changes)
The numbers are so small - it is easy to "double"
JM-Stamford,CT - Thursday, 3 February, 2011, at 8:52:43 am
talk to me at the end of the year -- talk to me when the industry as a whole has righted itself, then you can get a feel for what is working.
This is the economic recovery pure and simple. Confidence is coming back. Management consulting and contracting is booming which precedes/leads all else. Regular hiring will never fullly recover because of a fundamental shift away from employees to contract labor even at high levels in business. No, our economy is back but it is different and luxury goods are purchased by those "in the know" who feel confident about their future.
Re: No, this is economic recovery....
db997S - Thursday, 3 February, 2011, at 10:38:44 am
agree. Yes, the numbers are small, but the Boxster/Cayman sales have been low or trending down for a long time. If you look at overall Porsche sales, they are still strong (up 34%), driven by the Pepper and the Panomara, both of which by any stretch of the imagination are Luxury items. If things weren't better, or outlook improving, people would easily not purchase one of these and go lower market or hold off.

The time for great pricing on new cars, I think is behind us. Used car prices are also up. Saw a report earlier in the week on local news how the supply is so low, prices are up. Two three years ago, people stopped leasing, which is a huge pipeliner for the used car market. People are out looking, but no deals to be had, and inventory is spotty. I think this might be driving up new car sales as well. Why buy used if the price difference isn't that great? I know that isn't the case for Boxsters, but it's a specialty car. These were lots selling formerly leased beemers, Benzes, etc. The sales guy was basically giddy while some of the prospective buyers looked dower.
This dealer has been picking up via Porsche auctions used Boxsters (in one case a very nice '00 Boxster!) and Caymans and putting them on the lot. I've checked a few of the cars. They are in nice shape and some even get offered for sale with a CPO warranty. (So far a nice 08 SY Cayman S hasn't shown up or I'd have it!)

For a dealer to do this suggests to me it must see some optimism in the Boxster/Cayman market.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Interesting perspectives...
r9i8c7k - Thursday, 3 February, 2011, at 3:17:32 pm
I like "Bruce in Philly"'s and "db997s" perspectives and optimism. Anecdotally , I have recently seen an uptick in the number of new Boxsters and Panameras on the road. A majority of them driven by females.

While I would like to be positive about the uptick potential in the economy I am still very suspicious about good news on the economy. Most State budgets are still bleeding red, the commercial real estate market is a disaster, the Federal Government is spending, printing and borrowing money like a drunk sailor.

Let's hope the Porsche numbers keep climbing...

"Bart, with $10,000, we'd be millionaires! We could buy all kinds of useful things like...love!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2011 03:18PM by r9i8c7k. (view changes)
at least in the UK I've seen the press releases.

They must have some 987 parts they need to get rid of before the new 981 models are shipped as this is Porsche Marketing's standard end of life kicker.
100% increase over nothing is not much.
Rev Dennis - Tuesday, 8 February, 2011, at 9:11:45 pm
But it does seem the attitude about the economy is getting better.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login