Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
So i get in my car after afew months. Battery was dead. Charged it, noticed coolant light was flashing red. Checked resevoir. Was empty. Filled it. Took car to car wash, came home had it idiling in driveway. Call of asudden a massive green puddle was under reAr of car. Opened trunk, coolants was gone, resevoir was empty and had coolant on top around cap. Shut it off and pulled in garage. Temp was 180 degrees at time. My boxster is a2000 s w 45k.

Thanks

Gerrard
then finally fail all the way and a sudden loss of coolant is a primary clue. (When my Boxster's tank finally let go it just gushed coolant down to the ground just ahead of the right rear wheel.)

You need to get the car towed to a shop (dealer or indy whatever floats your boat) and have the true cause of the loss of coolant diagnosed -- it could be something other than the tank -- and fixed whatever it is.
I just pulled back carpet and tank is dry as a bone outside. Engine area is dry too
While the tank seam can split, open up and can gush coolant like crazy, when the tank cools down this split seam can close up and remain relatively leak free. In the case of my Boxster I waited until the next day and filled up the tank with distilled water and there was no signs of a fluid leaking. I drove the car to the nearest dealer, just a few miles away and had no problems. But I had the tank replaced.

Oh, I might mention in spite of the gush of coolant to the ground there was no coolant in the trunk, either.

But of course the leak can be from someplace else. Get the car to a shop and have the system pressure tested. This is not always successful as sometimes the leak only really shows up when the system is hot and under pressure.

(Which is how I found the leak in my car's coolant tank. I warmed up the engine until the radiator fans came on then shut off the engine. The heat load raised the coolant temperature and pressure and this combination finally let the seam leak with me watching. It had been leaking a while before this because I could smell antifreeze once in a while.)
Try burping it and see if the problem recurs.
... as you describe, I agree with Boxsterra that you have air trapped in the system.
Bleed out all of the air and see if that cures it.
If you're still leaking coolant, have the system pressure tested to determine where the leak is and correct it.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Thanks guys. I noticed there was still pressure in system when i removed coolant cap to pour a wt of water to see if it leaked. Low and behold about 2 cups of it leaked out underneath near right rear tire. Couldn't see exactly where because black plastic cover was in the way. If there is a hose there im goinv to suspect that . Im going to warm system and check again. Dip stick looks good, no white exhaust smoke, no loss of power, engine compartment is dry as a bone. So i doubt head gasket is blown.
When the pressure in the system gets to high it relieves the extra pressure by dumping coolant through a house by the right rear tire.

While you're at it, check the part number on your coolant cap. Earlier ones (00, 01, 02, 03) are not reliable.
Well i followed instructions on open pressure valve, topping coolant, idiling, revving, putting cap on, releasing pressure etc as directed in pedros thread. Added about a gallon and half. Ran the car at 3000 rom for 10 mins, fans came on etc etc. no leaks no nothing. Weird huh. As its cooling i see resevoir is getting a little below "add" line. Gonna buy a new cap. Havent driven it though. Idled it for 20 minutes thx
A new tank either comes with a new cap in which case there's nothing to do or doesn't come with a cap, in which case you're going to do it anyway.
I've got a new one that I never installed if youd like to buy it (a coolant tank that is. fits 03, so Im not sure if correct for 00
oh, and they dont usually come with a cap, despite what above poster said.

My leak ended up being the cap, so check that first.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login