Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Probably not the ultimate comparison, but fun to watch.

[www.youtube.com]
... you won't like the results winking smiley

In reality, even though the manual takes longer to shift, when you have a very experienced track driver the PDK won't make that much of a difference on the track.
But for the non-proffesional racecar driver the PDK makes things simpler, allowing the driver to better concentrate on braking point, hitting the apex and tracking out.
With PDK the driver does not have to "worry" about heel-and-toe or shifting.
Happy Porscheing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
The differences with mere mortals driving is likely to be greater. I wont speak for you guys, but i'm pretty mere. An automatic- and particularly a superb dual clutch automated manual such as PDK is a real asset to someone learning. I KNOW i'm slower in a 6-sp, but i don't care, and maybe , just maybe, with enough work, someday i won;t be :-)

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
I don't worry about heel and toe'ing - I look forward to it! I heel and toe all the time even on the street so it's burned into my subconscious now. I think if you are so distracted by having to downshift that you miss your turn-in you need more practice! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out I love my old 951 for track days - no abs even!

Chris - '01 Boxster - Seal Grey / Black / Black ; '87 944 Turbo (track beast) ; '86 944 - needs a new home!
I saw a white 981 BS in my wife's run group so I went over to chat with him. Pretty basic car with a PDK and he seemed to be getting around the track well. I asked him how he liked the PDK and he said he loved it at the track--which I can understand. He said he missed the manual in everyday driving because with the PDK was so less involving and he regretted getting the manual.

BTW, I saw 4 new Caymans at the track and 2 981 BS at this event; most of the guys were in the C/D groups representing less experienced drivers.
Typo?
Roger987 - 9 years ago
hi Mike.

You wrote: "he regretted getting the manual."

Maybe you intended to type 'he regretted NOT getting the manual" ?
oops my bad
MikenOH - 9 years ago
You're correct--he regretted not getting the manual.
I know that one will make me faster quicker. The other will make me a better driver and be more rewarding.

Now, considering that they are the SAME box, (they are you know, right?) how about both sets of UIs?

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
track times.

Of course, I completely understand the logic, and appeal, in a racing context, of PDK.

For me, one of the pleasures of driving my Boxster is shifting my own gears.

I anticipate I could get down Whistler Mountain much more quickly, and smoothly, on the gondola. But it wouldn't be quite the same as descending on a pair of curved boards, even if my progress were slowed by a nicely carved sweeping turn or two (not that all, or even most, are well-executed)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login