Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
My check engine light went on a few weeks ago. Called the dealer and was told there was a recall on a valve. I brought my car in, later in the day was informed the code did show it was the valve and they replaced it with the new designed valve and upgraded my computer. Off I went with no light.

This past weekend, coming back from the Rose Bowl (we just lost), my check engine light came on again (made it a really bad day) sad smiley. Called dealer and brought my car in again today. They called this afternoon and told me that it's the same code as before and I have the new valve. They don't know what the problem is and is contacting Porsche. My car is now staying overnight. I feel like a parent with a child in the hospital. Fortunately, I have the insurance (warranty) to cover it all. .....

They did give me a 2014 Cayenne with all the extras. It's way toooooo big for me. I wish they had given me a 911, maybe then driving it around I would consider changing my choice of vehicle in the future. With only 1 cay in the Cayenne, no way would I buy one, just too big. Even though it has the get up and go, I don't' seem to drive it like I do my Boxster. I don't feel at one with the road at all, maybe more like a "soccer mom". Too boring for me

Joanne
I would not worry about new car teething problems by the way.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Please keep us informed. I have a similar Boxster and have had no problems so far. The car is out of warranty, but hopefully they will replace that valve at no cost when I have the oil changed next April when my car comes out of hibernation as long as there is a recall on it.

Steve
I remember it's Meridith in Atlanta that has a similar car.
Good thing is it's covered under warranty. It's always possible that the new valve is defective in some way. Hope you get your baby back quickly. I know what you mean about size of a vehicle. They bigger it gets, the less I enjoy driving it.

Agree. It would be good if you find out which valve it is, so other 981 owners know what to watch for.

They did a software update on mine at last year's oil change. That's been it in the first 15K miles.
The codes
Joanne in OC - 9 years ago
From my prior visit the paper work has the following info:

10 emission/fuel/drive 1345 WE
1 991-606-621-05 Leak Diagnostic Unit

Not sure if that gives any info or helps. Last time they told me it was in the emissions. Something about when the fumes are returned for recycling, It's the valve at then end...... I have know idea what that means, just what they told me or what I interpreted what they said.

Joanne
People tend to freak out when the "dreaded" CEL is on.
The MIL - Malfunction Indicator Light, commonly known as the CEL - Check Engine Light, when on is just an indicator of environmental non-compliance.
It doesn't mean that the car is about to blow up or self-destroy. It's just warning you that the emissions is out of spec.
You can resume your driving without fear regarding the life of the engine.
It could be from a loose gas cap, a faulty valve in the gas tank, etc.
Any MIL/CEL will turn itself off once the issue has been solved or the emissions is back to spec.
That's why you'll see MIL/CELs that sometimes activate and other times are dormant, depending on weather, type of driving, etc.

OTOH, if your MIL/CEL starts flashing on-and-off ... STOP the car because a blinking MIL/CEL is a missfire indicator which, if not addressed can cause damage to the engine.

Happy Porscheing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
so i can find out what it is saying adn then take the appropriate action. Sometimes that is "play golf" :-)

The handheld code readers, while weak on Porsche specific codes, diagnostics and resets, are really user-friendly and useful to get the most common, gummit-mandated, codes that cause % of all lights.

Grant

Common problem on many makes. I have a new one on my drivers' seat in the Audi right now :-) Typically P0441 "incorrect purge flow".

Its a $20-80 part that is either closed or open depending on whether the car is running and generating vacuum. When off, fumes flow to a storage canister. When running, the fumes are sucked into the manifold and burned. Its fuel vapors and air after all :-)

Zero impact on operation. Minor if any impact on environment. yea, you want the light off but its no biggie if that's it

Grant

Grant

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login