Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Read my writeup on Rennlist where I added to another guy, USMC D1's thread.

I didn't drive it yet as I finished a bit too late but will report what I think about it.

Numeric Shifter on Rennlist

My post starts on page 3....

Peace
Bruce in Philly
I've driven several racecars with the numeric shifter and we could never get it adjusted right.
Generally one gear (2nd or 4th) was very difficult to engage.
In the end we removed the Numerics and installed B&M shifters in all of them.
It's a beautiful piece of engineering though.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
I like it.... it is more precise, mechanical and I can feel the mechanisms more. Is this worth it? I dunno, it was a fun project and I can play with it every day so yea, it was worth it. If these things don't mean much to you, it is not worth it at all.

Pedro, regarding adjustments.... I don't understand how this thing is good or bad for engagement. I really don't. Are you sure that the only change was the shifter and nothing else that could have caused the problem? The reason I say this is simple.... adjusting the cable lengths do nothing for engagement... they only effect the angle of the shifter.

I had big misunderstandings about how these shifters work... for example: I thought that springiness where the shifter goes to neutral between 2nd and 3rd was due to some mechanism in the shifter - wrong, the shifter is just just a floppy lever.. the spring-loading is coming from the transmission pushing and pulling on the two cables. Another thing I assumed, is that the cables are always under tension like bicycle brake and derailleur cables; go one way and pull more on a spring, go the other way, tension is lessened but not released. This is flat wrong. The cables in neutral are totally lax and not under tension. Go one way and a cable is pulled. go the other way and the cable is pushed. Yes pushed. I assumed a cable would go limp but actually it is more like a stiff pole and it pushes a lever on the transmission.

So.. given that the cables are under neutral tension when in neutral, adjusting their length, even their relative length only changes the angle of the lever. When you feel engagement, it is the transmission that is clicking into gear and not the cable shifter stopping at an appropriate place. Said another way, when I removed the cables from the shifter, they didn't retreat... they just sat there as they were not under tension.

Therefore, adjusting the cables does nothing for shift performance. So I don't understand where the adjustments would have any effect.

What am I missing here? The numeric didn't change shifting performance in any gear. It did, however require just a tad more effort to shift and I suspect this had to do with a minor change to lever length.

The other adjustment on the numeric is the lever length and I really don't care for a short shifter or even shorter option with the numeric. A friend has a Porsche short shifter and I totally don't get it... as it takes more muscle due to the loss of leverage. If you really wanted to change the length of the cables beyond what is in the splined/springy thing, you can move the mounts where the cables terminates... but I really don't understand why you would want to do this. Edjumacate me.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2014 08:54PM by Bruce In Philly (2000 S Boxster, now '09 C2S). (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login