Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Hi all,

It's been a while... hope everyone is doing well... and I missed everyone at BRBS this year. sad smiley

Well, I am looking for some troubleshooting guidance before I get my '08 Boxster S smog. Now that I'm in California, they take this stuff kinda seriously (not something I'm used in when living in FL).

I've tried twice following the BMW drive cycle (2:10 @ cold idle, 3:15 @ 28mph, 15min @ 58mph, 5:00 @ hot idle) to get my DME in a ready state.
After which, my Durametric shows only the Evap (gas cap seal) and O2 sensor heater are in Pass (ready) status. However, my catalytic converter efficiency, O2 sensor and Secondary-air system (SAI) are fail (not ready) state.

My understanding is that the DME cycles through the SAI readiness during the 2:10 cold idle cycle. However, since the SAI still shows fail/not ready, I don't know if there is a problem with the SAI? I have no CEL/code related to SAI. Is the SAI not activated b/c the ambient temp is not cold enough for the pump to kick on, and therefore it didn't cycle through?

I suspect the O2 sensor, and therefore cat eff, could be result of my FVD tune. I'll have to flash back to stock if that makes a diff.

For now, I am hoping to get some guidance on the SAI issue.

Thanks!
Cris
modify the procedure which results in monitor not be set to complete.

Do you hear the secondary air injection pump come on at cold start? Does it run a while then shut off?

With an OBD2 code reader/data viewer you can monitor the status of the secondary air injection system that is where its air is being introduced into the engine/exhaust.

Or cutting to the chase, I seriously doubt the tune is CARB (California Air Resources Board) compliant, so my WAG is you'll have to put the stock tune back in.
Check to make sure the FVD flash is 50 state legal (especially CA and MA). I had the exact same issue (O2 & SAI 'not ready'), because the flash disabled the SAI completely. Worked fine once I had the map adjusted. I think your stock map will be fine, or you may want to get a '50-state' aftermarket tune to avoid this dance every year...
FVD's tune starts out as an RoW map which eliminates the SAI and the secondary cats.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login