Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
As many mnow, when things get slow on the board here, there is a running debate among those (like myself) who have blown too much money on watches over which brand of watch for guys who can't count -- Rolex with its rotating bezel or Omega with multiple dials -- is better. Personally, I have a Rolex Submariner so I can pretend to be James Bond, but I thought about the Omega Speedmaster Pro, which was the watch they wore when they faked the Moon landing.

There are two iinteresting developments for those who have money left over after replacing their IMS.

Younger members will be astonished to know that years ago, Rolex was appealing because it was practical and a status symbol that worked -- it was expensive ($300-$1,000 in the 1970s and 1980s), and ads featured the likes of Thor Heyerdahl, whose crews sported Submariners. Rolex's slightly less expensive brand, Tudor, is now back in this country and is advertising its watches using a similar tone. It's watches look pretty much like Rolexes and their version of the Submariner looks a lot like old subs. In fact, if I were buying a watch today, I'd consider going for the Tudor instead of the currently astronomically priced version of my watch.

On the Omega front, they have just rereleased an updated version of the Speedmaster Mark II. It's not the Moon watch, but the model after it. I knew a guy in the 70s who had one and always remembered it as nice looking.

So, since they're not going to make teh 718, we may all be hanging on to our Boxsters for a while; here's an alternative to blow some money on.

2001 Base, purchased in 2004, replaced engine at 130K+, RIP 2017
JackintheBoxster
but I thought about the Omega Speedmaster Pro, which was the watch they wore when they faked the Moon landing.

I'd never wear an Omega Speedmaster Pro, since they wore it for the faked Moon landing. They say it's the same watch that Columbus wore when he tried to make us believe that the earth wasn't flat.
Funny you should bring this up, as I'm now planning to buy my second Speedmaster Pro. My current Speedmaster Pro is a pre-moonwatch version I bought in 1965 in Zurich. It no longer functions the way it should, and I'm not going to throw money at it to get it restored. It has about 2000 flying hours on it, and I feel good when I wear it. The attachment of pilots to watches is well known, and it goes back to the days long before GPS when a guy would plot a course on a sectional chart along with certain checkpoints and distances. The watch was critical in determining ground speed.

Steve

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Right, I've seen those ads with the Breitling in the Blue Angels or some other acrobatic flying team. I can just imagine these guys flying at close to Mach 1, six inches from the next plane and trying to figure out what all the bezels and dials on a Brietling say.

2001 Base, purchased in 2004, replaced engine at 130K+, RIP 2017
... although I hate ads with "smug guy-I'm too tough to shave every day"* portrayals, I like seeing the Mustang in the latest tv ad. (Not sure if the the other plane is a Thunderbolt.)

* Usually a smug-guy, etc. racing down a wet nighttime city street disregarding intersections, and instead looking smugly at his trophy girlfriend.

Ok, maybe the guys in the planes are clean shaven.
All those silly little dials have only one practical purpose.....

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Cheap watches have those silly little dials too. It's the Brand name (eg. Cartier, Rolex, Patek, Bvlgari, etc.) that does that job that you're talking about.
JackintheBoxster
Right, I've seen those ads with the Breitling in the Blue Angels or some other acrobatic flying team. I can just imagine these guys flying at close to Mach 1, six inches from the next plane and trying to figure out what all the bezels and dials on a Brietling say.
I'm no pilot. I desk dive, and rarely use any of the features on these watches. I like the way they look though. smiling smiley
JackintheBoxster
…the Omega Speedmaster Pro, which was the watch they wore when they faked the Moon landing.

from a technical (and very pedantic) standpoint, the astronauts weren't wearing speedmaster professionals when they landed on the moon as the watch was only called speedmaster at that time. Omega added professional after they had learned that the speedmaster had been worn on the moon.

i've had mine for almost 20 years. still waiting to go to the moon. smiling smiley

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
frogster

i've had mine for almost 20 years. still waiting to go to the moon. smiling smiley

Always possible - Maybe as easy as changing your name to Alice.

[www.youtube.com]
Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Guenter in Ontario
frogster

Always possible - Maybe as easy as changing your name to Alice.

oh the good ol' days when domestic violence was acceptable. i must admit that i found that video shocking. eye popping smiley

--
frogster

oh the good ol' days when domestic violence was acceptable. i must admit that i found that video shocking. eye popping smiley

Well, at least they didn't have to use the barrels of fake blood that seem to be required in today's shows. sad smiley

Besides, Ralph wasn't as rough and tough as he tried to portray.

[www.youtube.com]
frogster
JackintheBoxster
…the Omega Speedmaster Pro, which was the watch they wore when they faked the Moon landing.

from a technical (and very pedantic) standpoint, the astronauts weren't wearing speedmaster professionals when they landed on the moon as the watch was only called speedmaster at that time. Omega added professional after they had learned that the speedmaster had been worn on the moon.

I've been doing some research before buying a new Speedmaster. Actually, they added "Professional" in 1965 after the watch was used during EVA and before the moon landing. That was the big breakthrough as far as I was concerned. My 1965 version indeed has the "Professional" on its face.
SteveJ (2010 987 base, manual trans)

I've been doing some research before buying a new Speedmaster. Actually, they added "Professional" in 1965 after the watch was used during EVA and before the moon landing. That was the big breakthrough as far as I was concerned. My 1965 version indeed has the "Professional" on its face.

oops, my memory was a little off. i thought it was the moon landing. i have read a few books and websites on the subject but that was a while back. my (incorrect) recollection was that it was the moon landing. thanks for the correction.

--
My take
MarknearChicago - 9 years ago
I rarely care about watches but I bought a Rolex 17 years ago because I was pissed off that the gold Seiko I had was blistering after less than 10 years. The Rolex is going strong, cleaned and oiled every 5 to 6 years. Probably keep it til I croak. Mark near Chicago.
to me.

The $10 throw away when the battery fails kind I wear in the shower, while swimming, golfing, sleeping, etc.

The fancy presentation watch I wear maybe 4 times a year and have spent over twice what it would new cost today in repairs just for the sentimental value. Reminds me of cars I've owned, though not my Boxsters.
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC
to me.

The $10 throw away when the battery fails kind I wear in the shower, while swimming, golfing, sleeping, etc.

The fancy presentation watch I wear maybe 4 times a year and have spent over twice what it would new cost today in repairs just for the sentimental value. Reminds me of cars I've owned, though not my Boxsters.

that's the problem, mike. why keep a watch in a drawer? granted, my speedmaster is not fancy but i wear it every single day of they year and all throughout the day. doesn't really matter if i'm doing yardwork, dishes, or whatever. if it lasted in outer space, it can last in my urban life.

and every single morning, i look at it, put it on, and smile thinking how beautiful it is and what a fine piece of engineering it is. kind of like the feeling when we see and get into our boxsters. i wouldn't have a boxster if i could only take it out four times a year.

--
Hot as h3ll compared to here.
Must have been chilly. He actually was driving with the roof up.
Sandhills had 12 hours of rain and wind. Lawn and courses covered with debris/leaves.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login