Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Last run ( as i recall) at our season wrap AutoX at Giants' stadium. Nice, fast, flowing course set it SCCA standards.

Wonderful day, bonus weather, excited students, solid runs, good turnout.

Along the way i drove some interesting student's vehicles - Boxster Spyder (nice!), New M3 (cushy! Torquey!), 991S (big! capable!)
Toward the end i even got a national SCCA Evolution introductory and class champ to ride with me.

Bose 986 boxster on street tires. Time good enough to wine S1 ( and S2 if it were classed as such, and likely S3).

Grant's AutoX run ~ 63 seconds of fun

Just to make Marc proud, can has N-spec Mobil1 0w40 in it since its mostly a daily driver, and the climate is moderate, turning cold. :-)

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Until they moved them to Atlanta Motor Speedway which is way too far to drive for 5 minutes of run time. When they move the AX's back to civilization, I'll run some more. I have been planning to do some SCCA AX, but just havent' gotten around to it.
jg atl
Until they moved them to Atlanta Motor Speedway which is way too far to drive for 5 minutes of run time. When they move the AX's back to civilization, I'll run some more. I have been planning to do some SCCA AX, but just havent' gotten around to it.

Same thing happened locally; our club ran them for years as did the local Corvette but they both lost their venue due to liability issues ( I hear) and that was the end of it. Now, we'd have to drive 1 1/2 hours + for 8/60 second runs which isn't going to happen.
Having said that, it's probably the best and lowest risk way to find out the limits of your car's handling capabilities and what it does at those limits.
.. Autocross program. Its still healthy, but, as noted, finding good venues ht are anywhere near affordable is becoming more and more difficult.

Its an expensive proposition with venue rental, insurance, emergency medical staff, ....and equipment, lots of that.

Its hard to communicate the allure too. Some simply shy away from anything that looks like racing "i don't want to hurt my car". I'm always convincing people that its pretty darn easy on cars - brake see nothing, not much tire wear, etc.

Th flip side ( how these coexist remains a mystery) is that running in a parking lot against cones isn't really very exciting or challenging (hah!). Again, a quick fact check says this is where one can, safely, take a car to the limit and in fact beyond and rally learn car control.

I'm racking my brain for ways to get more runs in per person, but there are simple facts that get in the way - you can only run so many cars at a time before safety is compromised, or one car catches another, or timing and scoring comes after me with a bludgeon. Or simply loses times.

Bright ideas that don't involve parallel universes very welcome.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
jg atl
I enjoyed the SCCA ones more than PCA. Are they still doing them at Turner Field? That's 2 miles from where I live. I don't think I'd do it again, though... as fun as it is.
They do a couple joint events with PCA and those are at AMS. Doing an SCCA PDX (SCCA equivalent to a DE) this weekend at Road Atlanta.
I used to do autox all the time with SCCA. Moved to track time. Autox is a great way to get your feet wet, but it leads to a slippery slope. You'll want to do some track time then ... winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login