Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Hello everybody! I´m a new member from Sweden. In my 996 -01 I have a noice from time to time just like this noice [www.youtube.com] .

Doés anybody know what it can be?
Do you have a good dealership or indy shop in your area to take the car to? The noise might be from a relatively minor problem but it may be something more serious. The less the engine is run the better until the source of the noise is ID'd.

If you want to attempt to diagnose this yourself, my first advice would be to remove the oil filter housing and carefully dump the oil and filter element into a *clean* drain pan and look carefully at the oil and at and in the filter element. Depending upon what you don't see or do see plays a big role in what you do next.

Assuming you do not see anything scary put in a new filter element and install the filter housing correctly and top up with around 1/2 quart of the same oil that is in the engine.

The noise could be from a noisy idler roller bearing. It could be from a noisy water pump or possibly another accessory drive, but water pumps go bad most often.

Assuming the noise is present when the engine is dead cold, if you want carefully note the belt routing and its direction of rotation then remove the belt and start the cold engine. Run the engine only long enough to confirm the noise is present or not present. If the noise is present still I think you need to get the car to a qualified shop to have this looked into. It might just be a bad AOS and the noise is a squeal from excessive engine crankcase vacuum, but the engine sounds pretty healthy for an AOS to be the explanation.

If the noise is not present then there is a noisy idler roller bearing, a noisy tensioner roller bearing, or a noisy water pump or accessory drive.

If the belt has one (or two) sharp edges my money's on a bad accessory drive. You'll have to around to each in turn and check for excessive play. It may not be lots but it will be more than the other accessory drives have, and they shouldn't have much play.

If the belt is fine still check the accessory drives. But check the idler roller bearing and tensioner roller bearings for any signs of bearing troubles.
... secondary air injection pump which runs when the car is cold and can make that type of sound.
As noted by Mark, it could be an idler roller or a bearing from the alternator, water pump, power steering pump or air conditioner.
You'll have to remove the belt and run the engine to determine if the sound goes away, indicating that it is in one of the secondary systems mentioned.
Finally, when the car is making the noise, remove the oil filling cap (yellow).
If the sound goes away when you remove the cap it's probably the air/oil separator.
Good luck
Happy Porscheing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Thank´s Mark and Pedro for your answers!

I might add when the engine is switched off and the belt has stopped going round the whine continues for a second or so longer. The sound is loudest from the left rear wheelarch (when the car is standing on the road). It also seems to be loadest when the engine ideling. And finally, I have heard the sound in three or four occations with rather long intervals and everytime it has disappeared after a few minutes or after I have turned down the engine and started it again after a while.

I have also read somewhere that this kind of noice could come from the fuel evap system, maybe a broken hose or clogged purge control valve.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login