Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Charging through cigarette lighter
steve_wilwerding - Tuesday, 23 November, 2010, at 9:40:58 pm
About to put the Boxster away for the winter, and rather than disconnect the battery as I normally do, thought I would put on a trickle charger. I came across this one - does anyone else use a trickle charger through the cigarette lighter?

[www.lowes.com]
Re: Charging through cigarette lighter
Nliran - Tuesday, 23 November, 2010, at 11:53:42 pm
Not sure about that one specifically - I use a trickle charger through my cigarette lighter every winter and it works great. I can look up the brand tomorrow and let you know exactly which one it is if you'd like.
Eric in Lincoln - Wednesday, 24 November, 2010, at 12:12:12 am
Hey Steve,

I use one on my Boxster and it works great. I have the Porsche one that I got several years ago using a gift certificate.
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 24 November, 2010, at 12:27:21 am
steve_wilwerding
About to put the Boxster away for the winter, and rather than disconnect the battery as I normally do, thought I would put on a trickle charger. I came across this one - does anyone else use a trickle charger through the cigarette lighter?

[www.lowes.com]

I'm not sure about that particular model. Just be sure that it is a battery maintainer. NOT a trickle charger. eye rolling smiley The trickle charger can fry your battery.

I use the one I bought from Porsche and plug it into the cigarette lighter. It's worked fine for the 4 years I've used it. I'm sure there are others out there.
I've used a maintainer - no problems
Steve (Morro Bay) - Wednesday, 24 November, 2010, at 2:25:05 am
Mine has been plugged into the cigarette lighter for long stretches of time (weeks-months). Like Guenter says though -- make sure the one you get isn't a pure charger in the sense that it knows to shut itself off.
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Wednesday, 24 November, 2010, at 7:25:19 am
Yes I charge through the "lighter" socket. Have for years. Car is hooked up now in fact.

One feature this doesn't have is a desulfication cycle. This is a cycle that breaks down deposits that have formed on the plates and extends the life of the battery. Mostly more expensive units have such a cycle and, if they do, they mention it in their marketing literature.
Dave In MD - Wednesday, 24 November, 2010, at 11:25:39 am
I've been using the Battery Tender Plus product for years via the lighter socket with no problems. My Boxster usually sits for long stretches during the winter months and I just leave it plugged up. A little more expensive but has some nice features. if you search Google you can find lower prices than the vendor site.

Dave - 06 987 S coupe SG/NL; gone (but still my first love): 03 986 AS/GG/BK;
Motobob - Wednesday, 24 November, 2010, at 6:00:34 pm
Dave In MD
I've been using the Battery Tender Plus product for years via the lighter socket with no problems. My Boxster usually sits for long stretches during the winter months and I just leave it plugged up. A little more expensive but has some nice features. if you search Google you can find lower prices than the vendor site.

Plus 2 - I use same set up. It works great. Bob
jwdbox - Wednesday, 24 November, 2010, at 12:45:35 pm
I have been using the CTEK 3300 (they manufacture the OEM Porsche model, and it is identical except for the logo) on SilverBox since new and run it through the cig lighter with excellent results. Similarly use the same CTEKs on my other cars and have for years.cool smiley
I have used this one for the past 9 years...
MarkinMD - Wednesday, 24 November, 2010, at 3:36:53 pm
The Porsche "basic" battery maintainer that I bought from Suncoast (no affiliation, just a satisfied customer). Search for "Battery Maintainer" or the part number 98061198100. It is $49 at: www.suncoastparts.com

I top off the battery with distilled water twice each year. I like to believe that also helps the battery last longer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login