Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Hello folks - I have a 2.7L 986 Boxster and considering an exhaust upgrade, just to improve the sound (and hopefully not take away any HP at least). Surely, surely there must be some folks on this board who have gone through w/ similar project and can share info (what product, where to buy, were you satisfied w/ the sound, etc)
Thanks
... Offered as an aftermarket product.
1.- they drone
2.- the do not make more power
3.- they are expensive

There are very few that solve 1 and 2.
Two that come to mind are the Porsche Sport Exhaust and the Fabspeed, but they're both expensive.
Most of the aftermarket exhausts actually lose power over the OEM.
There are ways of improving sound without replacing the muffler.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Pedro:

Are you still happy with the Pedro Sport Exhaust as the best solution? I remember your saying that next time you would use a larger pipe size. Is there a loss of power with this exhaust? What if the ECU was remapped to accommodate the reduced back pressure? If I keep my Boxster I may do the Techno Power (intake) improvement, and the PSE at the same time if the exhaust flow should be considered in the remapping.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2014 06:26PM by newt. (view changes)
I'm very happy with the PSE.
The only reason why I'd go with larger diameter tube is for sound.
The narrower the tube, the higher the pitch.
You really don't need to remap unless you add intake and exhaust parts that will flow substantially more air through the engine.
The DME is quite adaptable for lesser add ons.
Happy Porscheing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
IIRC some people have loved the way it changes the sound
I have a spare muffler that I am willing to experiment with. Tom
Here
Boxsterra - 9 years ago
Ignore the "10 hp increase" bit. It's all about sound.

[986forum.com]
I'm sure people would like to hear what difference it makes.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2014 01:41PM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
There's NO WAY those tires are going to be able to harness all the extra h.p. generated by that exquisite array of tail pipes.
Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Or you could make it sound like an F1 engine for about $1.50......[www.youtube.com]
I'm happy with the Fabspeed bypass pipes. Eliminates the secondary cats. Nice sound with none of the dreaded droning.
Jimin: did you have any trouble with Check Engine Light?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login