Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
[www.ebay.com]

They are a couple hundred dollars cheaper than Fabspeed Secondary Cat bypass pipes. They don't look as well put together but if they fit right it doesn't matter. As far as I can tell from the pic, the pipe diameter appears the same but I can't find a spec. Has anyone tried these?
After further review, I realized it was unreasonable to expect people to open the link just to see so I'm making it easier. If you tried these, did you like them? did they fit?
Just by looking at the photo it is impossible to tell if you will have fitting problems.
What will give you fits is if they cause you to fail the visual test come Smog Test time.
Trying to make ill-fitting exhaust parts fit is a problem if you don't have the equipment to bend,heat and tweak the parts. Suggest you find a friendly muffler shop to involve in the fitting. Here in Los Angeles that usually means going to the 'wrong' part of town and paying cash for the work.
If you think these parts will make a significant increase in power, you haven't done your homework.The power/torque benefit is usually small ,if any. The clear advantage if you use these parts to delete the precat (yes, the first one after the header,not the main cat)is to reduce the heat in the engine bay. That is a great benefit ,particularly for Bank 2(cyls.4,5,6). The problem is CEL. You may be able to evade that problem with 'extenders' and other hacks. But if you get a visual check at Smog ,you'll have to re-fit the old parts, may get tagged as a Gross Polluter. So get some savy local advice on all these issues. Coincidentaly I am considering doing exactly this to help reduce the heat under Bank 2.I have not yet found a good technical discussion of the issue. Mostly the mod was made for appearance or duboius power claims. It is a common mod on some other engines where the pre-cat disintegrates after about 5 years and plugs up the main cat.Now that is a serious issue to address.Pre cats do very little to reduce smog and are not used in many ROW countries so pollution is not a major valid objection to what you are considering. For those who are concerned about the pollution issue ,please do the researh before you flame me.It is the main cat and the O2 sensors that do the work. Precats used to be refered to as 'warm-up' cats.On older vehicles they often do more harm than good.If you do get new headers,consider ceramic coating them .It is a good time to do it.
I hope this helps.
That is interesting Tony. My reason for wanting them was to allow a little more sound which deleting the 2nd Cat will allow do based on my research. The 25 pound weight drop is another benefit. I expect the power gains to be negligible. I am not deleting the Pre-Cat (I think that would be illegal on the street) but was not aware of the heat issue. We do not have smog inspection here in Virginia so there is nothing illegal about deleting the secondary Cats. This model (Circuit Werks) is $200 cheaper than Fabspeed but I am not familiar with Circuit Werks. My concern with this particular model is:
1) how well will it fit (i.e. hours of aggravation for me under the car if they don't) and
2) will I have a CEL issue?
The CEL is the eay problem which this kit addresses with extenders.That just masks the real issue with deleting main catalytic converters. The ECU is programmed to respond to the accurate(not contrived) readings of the O2 sensors. With this kit the ECU will get totally inaccurate O2 readings and power/torque likely suffer. Thi is not my idea -the Internet is replete with examples that confirm this risk in some(not all ) cases.
Deleting the pre-cat (closest to the header) will create more noise(+drone?) and is less likely to cause power/torque degradation.Buying anything other than a brand name that has had lots of write-ups on the P-car Forums(e.g. Fabspeed) seems very risky.Just make sure you understand the difference in function and location between the two cats on each bank. The terminology gets confusing -pre/post, primary/secondary, etc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login