Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
to perform the sad duty of carrying the ashes of a parent home.

My Mom joined my Dad in death last night. My sister and I were at Mom's bed side when she died. Mom died peacefully in her sleep. She was breathing but at some point I didn't see the signs of a pulse, then after a few moments she stopped breathing. (Mom like Dad had a do not resuscitate order, a perform no heroics order, in her health care directive on file with the board and care home and the hospice provider.) The hospice nurse arrived just a few minutes later and confirmed there were no vital signs. The RN arrived a few minutes later and declared Mom dead. Cause of death has not been determined yet.

Mom was 88 years old, having just turned 88 on the 14th of this month. Mom is survived by me, Marc, her oldest son, her daughter, Donalyn, her youngest son, Keith, and her sister Peggie Offermann.

So I await the phone call from the mortuary that Mom's ashes are ready to collect. Like Dad's ashes I'll bring them home in the Boxster.

Then I have to wait for Mom's death certificates. Once I have these then I will drive back east to Joplin MO where Mom and Dad will be buried. Afterwards I will begin the process of disposing of my parents' personal possessions and houses.

Not sure which car will get the call for this journey though I'm leaning towards the 996.

Sorry to bring such sad news to the board but unfortunately sad news is part of life as those of you who have lost loved ones know all too well.

Hopefully, my news will be a bit more cheery going forward.
Dear Marc,

My deepest condolences. I lost my Mom last year and Dad some years ago. Mom's passing has probably been the hardest blow to overcome. I do have some happy memories of when I took Mom for a top down Boxster ride in Indiana when we lived there and my parents came to visit. And another drive more recently here in Montreal after we moved back North of the border ... even though her arthritis made it difficult to get in and out of the car, she really enjoyed our cruise along the shore of the St Lawrence river one fine summers day.

Sincerely,
John
Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
I hear story after story like this. when one life partner goes, their soul mate joins them. Maybe its coincidence, but maybe not.

I had two parents die after long struggles. In many ways, a long and uncomfortable fight is far worse than what you describe as a peaceful exit. we can all hope to have a long life, be with ones we love, and when they pass, go without trauma, and hopefully join them.

The added separation will be difficult, but all i can say is that you obviously stayed close, kept them well and well care for, and ought to make them proud. be happy for what you did.

All the best,

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
As someone noted regarding your father; cudos to you for doing all the right things for your parents. Strangely enough, even when expected, death comes as a surprise beacuse we are never ready - I certainly wasn't. Wish you strengtht in dealing with the rest - it will be emotionally draining as so many memories will surface when going through their belongings.....
Have a safe trip,
Nils
Grant makes a good point concerning spouses passing away so close in time. A friend of mine lost both her parents in one month, each of different causes. The following is not quite the same thing, but bears mentioning: My uncle Frank passed away unexpectedly on a day my uncle Joe (his brother) was to have lunch with him. My father (another brother) had died the year before, and at the wake Joe said Frank was having lunch with my dad instead. A nice thought, I think.
There is a univeral balance in both passing almost together. Be strong, Marc....

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2014 05:29PM by Gary in SoFL. (view changes)
My sincere condolences, Marc.
Maarc, may you take solace in knowing your parents are reunited and with you in spirit going forward. I'll say a little prayer for you and your family tonight...

Steve
Guards Red 1999
I'm not a race car driver, but I play one in 2nd and 3rd gear grinning smiley
Sorry for your loss Mark. Particularly loosing both parents withing such a short time. I bought my boxster one month before my mom died in 2002 and was able to give her a ride in my new car . She was so happy for me. my dad also rode in my boxster before he died nine years later. Just another reason why I have no plans to replace my boxster with 192k miles.

I wish you we'll getting through these difficult times.

BarryL
2002 seal grey 2.7 tip 192k
Santa Cruz (formally Dublin)
Again my sincere condoleances Marc.
It's a comforting thought to know that your parents were allowed to stay together even in the end.
I wish you strength to bear the loss.

Joris
My thoughts are with you, Marc. I know your parents would wish you a speedy recovery from the loss.

Steve
Keep on drving life like you stole it .. I agree with SteveJ, I'm sure they'd wish that for you.
Marc,

Very sad to hear this. All the best to you and yours.

Jim
So very sorry to hear of your loss. With both your parents passing so close, they are together again, comfortable and no longer suffering. It sounds like you were there for them during their time of need. .... They both have their final ride with you in the Boxster, enjoy your memories and the laughter of when they were with you.

Praying for you and your family
Joanne
The next while will be a very trying time for you and the family.

My sincere condolences.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login