Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I need to get a new key head for my '01. By that I mean the plastic head with the buttons for opening the doors.
Dealer wants $350 for the part and $95 for programming.
Seems kind of high. Thoughts? Anyone know of a more reasonable dealer in the SF bay area?
TIA.
What is wrong with the key head that you have now? I would imagine you've checked to see that it isn't the battery. If we have an idea of what the problem is, there may be a much less expensive solution that someone might have.

If you do get a new key head, yes it will have to programmed into the car's system so it recognizes the key.
I'm assuming the trunk buttons do work, then I doubt it's the battery. Sounds like maybe the contacts for that button are worn?
If you are handy with a soldering iron, you can replace just the buttons on the circuit board. I have replaced a couple on one of my key heads and they work fine now. Search the archives for the company that sells the switches and the part number. IIRC the switches were like $.70 each. I paid more for shipping than the parts, but well worth it.

If nothing shows up in the search, let me know and I'll dig through my receipts for the info.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2014 04:58PM by jg atl. (view changes)
... has to have the CLU programmed to accept the new remote's codes.
Happy Porscheing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
I just bought a whole new key and paid about $350 for the key-head plus the correct blank. See Suncoast has the key-head for $146 plus blank $40, but then needed to have the blank cut. HOWEVER, Fairfield Porsche changed the pre-set price to program the key from $135 to $79.95 fro 1/2hr work.
I didn't ask, but surmise that if i brought the key there, i would have paid the higher price.
So, since you only need the head, buy it from Suncoast and take it to a dealer as even if more than $95 to program - you made out ok.
Do I need a blank or can I just buy the head and slip it over the key?
TIA
Just the tip
Boxsterra - 9 years ago
I mean, just the head.
... Literally

[pedrosgarage.com]

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

A heck of a series of articles. Well done.
... glad you like them.
I've been writing a monthly Tech Article for over 5 years now.
They are being published by 3-4 dozen PCA Regional Clubs throughout North America.
I enjoy writing them but detest toiling over what next to write about.
It gets harder every month to come up with a new topic that fits all the parameters that PCA requests.
Happy Porscheing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login