Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Starter time...
MarcW - 9 years ago
Based on what I'm hearing sometimes when I cold start the Boxster I think the starter -- or the overrun clutch -- is going out.

After starting the engine concurrent with me allowing the key to move from the engine start position back to the on/run position I hear what I believe to be a dragging starter overrun clutch. This noise has appeared at the same time it has gotten cooler and wetter. This type of weather seems to exacerbate these types of problems. (For instance, the driver's side seat belt take up is a bit less quick to take up the slack when I unlatch and move the belt away from my body.)

So, I think I'll swing by the indy shop -- yes, I think I'll try an indy shop where one of the trusted senior techs went to after he left the dealer -- and see how this starter R&R goes. Oh, mileage is not quite to 288K miles.

Might mention I had the front tires replaced at an indy tire store the other day. (I know I know, what is the world coming to? N-rated tires though so don't despair.)

This went ok, although I had to supply some small wood pads for the tech to use to protect the car's lift points from damage from the floor jack. I used this indy tire shop because it has fixed about a half dozen flats for me and hasn't charged me a dime. Also, I'm not sure the price was all the lower than the dealer. New Pirelli 17" tires mounted and balanced (not the load/road force balance either -- however I have road tested the car since and there is no vibration) cost around $520. I have to say I think with my PCA discount the dealer might have been quite competitive maybe even a bit lower in cost.

Time to take the 996 out today for a little exercise and I'll swing by the dealer and get a quote on a set of front tires for the Boxster and compare prices.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login