Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Sounds like a nice idea muting under a certain speed. I have a 2009 C2S.... any compatibility issues? Seems worth it to me...

My vintage circa 2000 unit is giving me some troubles with laser falsing so much I can't use it at night... about $50 to repair or $279 for an upgraded unit - upgrade costs differ by serial number.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
having mute function for local roads, shopping plazas, etc.

As for laser falsing... do not be so sure it's your unit as many newer cars have a laser aided system which trigger the V1 (i.e volva and infinity in my experience). As well, newer audi, buick and cadillac also have (x-band) triggers from their lane change assist monitoring..

Upgraded my V1 two years ago to enable blocking PoP traffic monitoring - a MAJOR annoyance when driving in cities / states utilizing (OH is one for instance) as it blasts every minute or so full-tilt then vanishes.
Haven't had enough time to see if it cuts out a significant amount of the the extraneous alarms. According to the linked article, POP isn't very prevalent. (Article is undated, however.)
[www.speedzones.com]
The article, regardless of unknown date, references POP used in 'guns' for issuing citations and agree rarer to find than traditional ones but I have encountered in roughly half a dozen states. In one particular state, officers can use POP however citations issued via readings from POP / instant on are not valid winking smiley Having witnessed a few cars get pulled over when my V1 went from dark of night to Rusty flipping the switch Griswold Christmas light bright, I'm certain those drivers had no problem getting an officer to affirm the citation was written via (proven to be) highly inaccurate POP.

Anywho... I am referring more to the traffic monitoring POP which I find highly annoying... particularly on long stretches of open road. Some neighboring states utilize and for that alone I'm glad I upgraded my unit and have the feature turned off.

smiling smiley
But he doesn't seem interested.
the unit has to emit some kind of radar signal -- very low power -- for some reason.

I have found my V1 detects other detectors and yet no one I've talked too - via a CB radio -- has been able to detect the presence of my V1. My V1 may not be undetectable but for all practical purposes it is undetectable.
Yes, it can, has been, and is.

See:

[www.beltronics.com]

I also speak from personal experience. I was in a Porsche Boxster when the police stopped the owner and confiscated his V1. The owner was not speeding; the cop's radar detector detector had picked it up. The owner lost his V1 AND paid a large fine.

Later that night, the Boxster owner ordered an STi. That was at least 4 years ago. Many avoided speeding tickets since then, and no detection by the police.

As best as I can tell, Mike simply doesn't want to build/sell a detector which will probably be used where it is unlawful to do so. In fact, he won't even ship to those states/provinces where their use is not permitted.

That's entirely Mike's call, of course, but I find it peculiar. If Porsche had the same philosophy, its cars sold here would have a speed limited to 70 or 80 mph.

Mike, how about the letting the owner decide where he wants to use the detector, and let him deal with the consequences?

I'd prefer a VI, because of the arrows, but it's useless to anyone using it where it's use is 'unlawful'.
confiscated and a fine almost certainly levied. The mistake was not in using a radar detector that was not undetectable but in using one at all. This was compounded by not only using one where it shouldn't have been used but also by not paying close enough attention when in proximity to a LEO with the ability to pick up the radar's signature emissions.

If I lived in a state where it was illegal to use a radar detector I would not use one. It doesn't require much effort at all to just watch one's speed. I do not speed in town or suburban areas anyhow. The risk isn't worth it and besides that what's the point? One just ends up at the next stop light sooner. I use my car's cruise control to set the speed to the limit so I don't have to constantly watch the speedo to avoid letting the speed creep up into the ticket zone.

Oh, I visited the link and read the Beltronics unit is reportedly invisible to any radar detector detector. I'm at a loss to understand then why Valentine doesn't offer this same feature.
MarcW
confiscated and a fine almost certainly levied. The mistake was not in using a radar detector that was not undetectable but in using one at all. This was compounded by not only using one where it shouldn't have been used but also by not paying close enough attention when in proximity to a LEO with the ability to pick up the radar's signature emissions.

If I lived in a state where it was illegal to use a radar detector I would not use one. It doesn't require much effort at all to just watch one's speed. I do not speed in town or suburban areas anyhow. The risk isn't worth it and besides that what's the point? One just ends up at the next stop light sooner. I use my car's cruise control to set the speed to the limit so I don't have to constantly watch the speedo to avoid letting the speed creep up into the ticket zone.

Oh, I visited the link and read the Beltronics unit is reportedly invisible to any radar detector detector. I'm at a loss to understand then why Valentine doesn't offer this same feature.

1. At the time my friend bought his V1, it was, indeed, undetectable. But technology changed, and it became detectable by the newest police devices. Mike has chosen not to make his current V1 undetectable .

2. It was at night, the cop was in an unmarked car. Difficult to observe the police car.

3. You're right Marc, if one stays within the speed limit, a radar detector is unnecessary. I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing people who use radar detectors do so because they know that, at times, they will speed.

But all that discussion is irrelevant to the point of my post, which is simply, a V1's arrows make it a better unit, but that superiority is lost if it's not undetectable, as it once was. Bell makes such a unit.

My friend called Mike's shop and was told that Mike is working on making his unit undetectable. That was about 5 years ago. My guess is that, for reasons only Mike knows, he's not interested in either making, or selling (or both) such a unit. Fortunately, Bell has chosen a different path, by offering an undetectable unit.

It's reasonable to anticipate that, as governments try to find more revenue, more and more States will outlaw radar detectors. The detectability of the V1 unit may become increasingly relevant.
Roger987
MarcW

1. At the time my friend bought his V1, it was, indeed, undetectable. But technology changed, and it became detectable by the newest police devices. Mike has chosen not to make his current V1 undetectable .

2. It was at night, the cop was in an unmarked car. Difficult to observe the police car.

3. You're right Marc, if one stays within the speed limit, a radar detector is unnecessary. I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing people who use radar detectors do so because they know that, at times, they will speed.

But all that discussion is irrelevant to the point of my post, which is simply, a V1's arrows make it a better unit, but that superiority is lost if it's not undetectable, as it once was. Bell makes such a unit.

My friend called Mike's shop and was told that Mike is working on making his unit undetectable. That was about 5 years ago. My guess is that, for reasons only Mike knows, he's not interested in either making, or selling (or both) such a unit. Fortunately, Bell has chosen a different path, by offering an undetectable unit.

It's reasonable to anticipate that, as governments try to find more revenue, more and more States will outlaw radar detectors. The detectability of the V1 unit may become increasingly relevant.

My take is the number of drivers relying upon radar detectors is so low that there will be no real incentive to outlaw them. (Also, I believe for the largest potential market -- commercial drivers -- radar detectors (and police scanners) are outlawed in every state.)

I thought with my use of a radar detector I'd have advance warning and see other drivers getting pulled over. I have only seen this happen just a few times, not nearly as many time as I had thought. Most of the time when I encounter a real bogey warning I come upon the LEO and other vehicle already over on the shoulder or off the freeway on an off ramp. There are so many speeders and drivers violating other traffic laws around it is like shooting fish in a barrel and there is nothing to be gained by making the use of a radar detector illegal and thus ensnaring radar detector users.

'course never underestimate state legislatures when it comes to passing laws that even in some small way seek to increase income by whatever means possible.

However, if the above does come to pass I would think Mike would have sufficient incentive to make the V1 undetectable.
fixed with the check unwashed. I called and the tech support said the repair was free of charge. Another time more recently the unit started falling on another band. Again I sent it in with a check for repairs and got it back fixed with the check again uncashed.

Call and arrange to send your unit in to have it fixed.
I have a combo unit--Laser and K/KA/X band radar--but have never had my laser dector go off without having a visual on the LEO's car when the alarm went off.
Isn't the detector essentially telling you to expect a ticket if you're +10mph over?

Lately I've been depending on WAZE to the point where I don't even plug in my detector anymore.BTW, this is used on mainly on Interstates.
MikenOH
I have a combo unit--Laser and K/KA/X band radar--but have never had my laser dector go off without having a visual on the LEO's car when the alarm went off.
Isn't the detector essentially telling you to expect a ticket if you're +10mph over?

Lately I've been depending on WAZE to the point where I don't even plug in my detector anymore.BTW, this is used on mainly on Interstates.

really don't pay much attention to what's being used. I just welcome any warning as a reminder to be ever vigilant for any speed enforcement. Given how aggressive some locales are regarding speed enforcement and how big a target my cars are I want every edge.
especially if from another vehicle that's been tagged, so it can be helpful. Also, as I mentioned elsewhere, consideration has to be made for other, non-police/non-LASER sources emitting the same wavelength range.
as long as you are not in front it detects it off of other cars but if you are first in line you are toast. By the time it goes off you are caught.
MarcW
fixed with the check unwashed. I called and the tech support said the repair was free of charge. Another time more recently the unit started falling on another band. Again I sent it in with a check for repairs and got it back fixed with the check again uncashed. Call and arrange to send your unit in to have it fixed.

Yes, Valentine is a good company. They did the same for me years back when the unit was falsing and running really hot.... didn't charge me at all. I probably should save some money and get it repaired but it is vintage circa 2000 and they do offer some upgrades.... what the hey. Gonna upgrade the unit.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Some taillights and even some red neon signs could cause it. As far as I know, it's more about the wavelength itself, not the coherence.
The issue I am facing right now is the unit is failing...... trust me on this one.

Regarding false laser triggering.... from when it was new, the following would falsely trigger the laser warning:

1. Cadilac LED tail lights.... other LED lights will do it too, but it seems Escalade lights are evil. LED lights flash by their nature. The brighter the LED lights, the more likely a false trigger.
2. Shadows.. yep, you betcha. Sun low in the sky where bare trees cast shadows on the highway causes a "flashing" of light as you drive.
3. Rain drops and windshield wipers

All of this causes flashing, and I suspect when the flashing is at a harmonic or most likely subharmonic of what the unit is listening to will then trip the alarm. American LiDAR guns flash anywhere between 100 to 380 pulses per second. Given the quick Google search I did, car LED light flashing is not standardized and can be all over the place. If there is no standard, then Valentine or any laser detector has a real problem as they can't tune out unwanted frequencies. Apparently, car LEDs and LiDAR can overlap..... and then you have the harmonic or subharmonic issue and you have false triggering. Clearly, a tough engineering problem. Another thing the detector can see is the amount of energy measured in candella. The Valentine units appear quite sensitive but dull LED tail lights won't trigger the alarm... although to be fair, it maybe the flash frequency is out of range also. Anywhoooo..... My circa 2000 Valentine was always a bit jumpy with quick LiDAR triggering and I guess it has to be as LiDAR doesn't scatter or spray a wide pattern like RADAR.

I will report back when I get my new unit.

Peace
Bruce in Phill
rain/wiper on the glass with low sunlight hitting the glass, bright a close by lightning flashes at night, tail lights of some vehicles, large LCD billboards, and some kind of laser cruise control system.

Then the thing started alarming on laser with no obvious sources no matter how far fetched: empty fields.

After I got it back it alarmed less on even the tail lights and laser cruise control signals.

I have managed to get an early warning out of it from a real LEO operated laser a few times. I have never been cited for speeding from a LEO operated laser, though.
the V1 sounded off for maybe a minute. It was nighttime and it seemed no one else was around for miles, nor any apparent source. It made me think a stealth fighter was practicing by "painting" my car.
A radar story: in the mid 90s traveling through Utah or Arizona; daytime. A different detector (brand doesn't matter here) began beeping furiously, and there was absolutely no land-based source all the way to the 360ยบ of faraway horizon. Then this dark shape appeared in the sky: a B-52! Now that was awesome in the true sense of the word.
I heard a faint noise, very much like a very low volume roar. I was in the 89 Tempo coming back from Las Vegas and it was hot and I was thinking something was wrong with the car. Nothing scary on the dash, the car felt fine, and I kept going. But the noise got louder and louder until it was all I could hear, more than hear, feel. Just at its loudest a shadow passed over head and up ahead of my car was a military jet -- I have no idea what kind -- not very far off the deck and moving like lightning away from me. I bet my car was lit up with radar like crazy but with no V1 I couldn't tell. Every once in awhile here in Sedalia area, well, a little west of here, I spot some B2's flying around. There are some based at the Whiteman Air Force Base near Knob Noster MO. I don't recall every getting an alarm from my V1 but the aircraft are otherworldly looking. M.
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
The socket isn't just under the dash as it is with the 986. I had gotten one some time ago, but the socket's location in the driver footwell fuse panel makes any connector, even an L-shaped one*, get too close to one's left foot. Once I find it in my collection of spare bits, I'll put a notice in the Parts For Sale section. It will be fine with a 986 and maybe a 987, too.
* I had gotten a spare panel cover, too, with the intention of making a rectangular cut-out in it for the L-connector plug and wire to pass through.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login