Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
A new report from AutoCar says that the rumored entry-level Porsche 718 model has been cancelled. We reported on this model back in June, speculating that it would be smaller and cheaper than the Boxster, with a new four-cylinder engine mounted in the middle. Plans for this model’s aluminum and steel chassis, rumored to be shared with Audi as well, have been nixed, making it an unlikely bet for production anytime soon.
All hope for a new entry-level Porsche sports car is not lost, as our European bureau chief Georg Kacher says that something much more interesting is in the cards. No, Porsche will not be rolling out a new model, but the 718 name will still be in play, instead applied to the next-generation Porsche Boxster and Cayman models. The new name will accompany a slight perspective shift for these mid-engine sports cars, as the new four-cylinder boxer engine will make its way into a lower-priced, entry-level version of the 718.

It’s easiest to understand this change if you think of the 718 name as an all-encompassing model range like the iconic 911. Just like the 911 offers models all the way from the 350-hp Carrera to the 560-hp Turbo S, the new 718 will offer a wider range of performance levels, all of which will retain the mid-engine construction of the current Boxster convertible and Cayman coupe (pictured). Porsche’s new flat-four engines will power the lower models, which should come in at a significantly lower price than the current Boxster’s $52,395 starting cost.

We previously reported that this new engine would come in a variety of tunes, so the base Porsche 718 will likely be offered with a 2.0-liter four-cylinder with around 285 hp and 295 lb-ft of torque. A larger, 2.5-liter four-cylinder is said to make around 360 hp and 345 lb-ft of torque, and a turbocharged version of the four-cylinder may make as much as 400 hp. We’re not sure at this point if the Porsche 718 will continue to offer six-cylinder boxer engines like the current Boxster and Cayman, which offer 2.7-liter and 3.4-liter six-cylinders making between 265 hp and 340 hp. Instead, this four-cylinder lineup could replace the six-cylinder powertrains for the 718 altogether.

Expect to see the Porsche 718 appear sometime in 2016 before going on sale as a 2017 model. In the meantime, Porsche will be updating the current Cayman and Boxster models with high-performance variants called GT4 and RS Spyder, respectively. Stay tuned for more information about the new direction of Porsche’s smaller sports cars as we hear more about the new Porsche 718 range.

Read more......

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Sorry, I'm confused. It says the 718 has been cancelled, but then continues by saying it will appear in various specs starting in 2106. Is the article baslically saying that the Boxster is being killed and replaced by the 718, or will it just be rebadged as a 718 with a four banger instead of a six? I hope not. Long live the Boxster as a Boxster, not a number.
db997S
Sorry, I'm confused. It says the 718 has been cancelled, but then continues by saying it will appear in various specs starting in 2106. Is the article baslically saying that the Boxster is being killed and replaced by the 718, or will it just be rebadged as a 718 with a four banger instead of a six? I hope not. Long live the Boxster as a Boxster, not a number.

The latest is that the 718 will not be produced as Porsche doesn't want to introduce a less expensive car. The current philosophy seems to be that there are entry level Porsches - buy a used one. It also sounds like the 981 both Boxster and Cayman will receive a refresh for the 2015 model year (about this coming June). My guess is most likely change to the front and rear pumper covers. The most significant change will be the likely introduction of turbo 4 bangers with the possible exception of the GT4 model which might retain a high output flat 6.
Guenter in Ontario

The current philosophy seems to be that there are entry level Porsches - buy a used one. It also sounds like the 981 both Boxster and Cayman will receive a refresh for the 2015 model year (about this coming June).

Do you mean 2016?

2015 models are already here...however not in my Garage...I just lookedsad smiley

Merry Christmas - Guenter...see in a few weeks for Bella Italy...the moviesmiling bouncing smiley

MIKELLIG
BLKBOXS
Guenter in Ontario

The current philosophy seems to be that there are entry level Porsches - buy a used one. It also sounds like the 981 both Boxster and Cayman will receive a refresh for the 2015 model year (about this coming June).

Do you mean 2016?

2015 models are already here...however not in my Garage...I just lookedsad smiley

Merry Christmas - Guenter...see in a few weeks for Bella Italy...the moviesmiling bouncing smiley

You're right Mike. Model year 2016 production will likely start around June 2015.

Indeed, Merry Christmas. Bella Italia the Movie will launch, uneffected by the Sony hack. smiling smiley
Will slowly segue the entire boxster/cayman line to the 718 (or something else, who cares) nomenclature and have both entry level cars ( as we pined for) and expensive ones.

This is consistent with Porsche's strategy in general - with cars that car range from 80k to 225k all based on the same nameplate (Panamera example)

I guess this is good. It does question the focus on a light, affordable, hard-core, simple car. Low end and club racer are not synonymous.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login