Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
A while ago, we had a discussion about the correct way to hold a steering wheel. Came across this article that's well written. Only one thing that doesn't quite apply since it must not have been written by someone driving in North America.

[www.msn.com]
[www.stat.auckland.ac.nz]
As far as steering position, the worst are those who sort of rest two or three fingertips at the bottom inside of the wheel. La-la-laa. More like vaguely guiding a vehicle rather than driving it.
Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Personally, I'd find that just a tad awkward to drive. Maybe I'm just not as limber as I used to be,
Many years ago I had a big argument with a girlfriend and drove her about 7 miles back to her house with one of her feet sticking through the steering wheel. Fortunately the steering ratio was pretty quick (an Alfa) and negotiating turns wasn't too difficult.
Laz
Many years ago I had a big argument with a girlfriend and drove her about 7 miles back to her house with one of her feet sticking through the steering wheel. Fortunately the steering ratio was pretty quick (an Alfa) and negotiating turns wasn't too difficult.

Interesting picture in my mind there. winking smiley

Obviously, she wasn't in the driver's seat.
We were nicely (I thought) driving back to my apartment after food shopping, when out of nowhere* she grabbed a frozen chicken from the grocery bag in the jump seat and swatted me across the face. That led to some interesting steering, too, this time on my part.

*At the store I had the bad luck to run into a girl I barely knew, and the really bad luck to know the check-out girl, too. I thought nothing of it, but apparently my girlfriend thought a whole lot of it!
Laz
We were nicely (I thought) driving back to my apartment after food shopping, when out of nowhere* she grabbed a frozen chicken from the grocery bag in the jump seat and swatted me across the face. That led to some interesting steering, too, this time on my part.

*At the store I had the bad luck to run into a girl I barely knew, and the really bad luck to know the check-out girl, too. I thought nothing of it, but apparently my girlfriend thought a whole lot of it!

Three things come to mind.

I take it this wasn't the time her (if it was the same girlfriend) foot was resting through the steer wheel.

She must have been the extreme jealous type.

That's a painful way of playing chicken.
Did you introduce her as your girlfriend, to both of them? That should have helped neutralize any jealousy...
the the inside mirror is for something other than a place from which to hang CD's and aimed to check makeup.
Bad enough they're texting continuously, but even when they take a moment to look up and out the windshiled, they can't see much because of the cluster of '0 IQ indicators' hanging from their mirrors.

I guess it's too late; I've already started, haven't I.
Roger987
Bad enough they're texting continuously, but even when they take a moment to look up and out the windshiled, they can't see much because of the cluster of '0 IQ indicators' hanging from their mirrors.

I guess it's too late; I've already started, haven't I.

Yup. Too late. You have.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of people behind the wheel of a car have little interest in the art of driving. It's just a way to get from here to there. They really would be better off in a taxi (as passenger of course) or owning a Googlemobile. Of course, we're already 3/4 of the way there. Available in most cars are all sorts of computer controlled functions - smart cruise control that will slow the car automatically, sensors to avoid forward collisions (I have two, one on either side of my nose, that I use), sensors that park your car for you.

.....reminds me. I should take up texting so I have something to do while behind the wheel of one of these cars.
There are various things one can observe overall, but especially with cars, that are indicators for point deduction. I try to minimize factors that could reduce my "score," but probably miss more than I realize.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login