Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Last week I traded in my 2010 Boxster for a Subaru Forester. Had it less than a year! The reason (which may have been apparent to BRBSers) is that I have a spinal cord injury and, even though using the clutch was fine, getting in and out of the Boxster was becoming increasingly difficult. I really need good visibility as well -

The good news is that I truly love the Forester. It's a fun car and has soul smiling smiley

I'll still check here on Pedros Board from time to time because for me, it's still the people!!
Glad that you were able to find another car that's got a flat six and a fun car to drive.

Hope you can make it to BRBS again. They've got forests there, you know. winking smiley

All the best with you health.
Maybe a Cayenne, or a Macan.

In the meantime, I hope you continue to enjoy the Subie, and that it treats you better than the Volvo.
Meredith, one of my other cars is a Forester turbo. I agree with your assessment. I call the Boxster/Forester duo the Superman/Clark Kent pair. What no one notices is that Clark Kent has super powers as well. smiling smiley If you get a yen for a Boxster again, you should try a Tiptronic - I'm loving my new one. I'm glad you will still be checking in.
Meredith in Atlanta
Last week I traded in my 2010 Boxster for a Subaru Forester. Had it less than a year! The reason (which may have been apparent to BRBSers) is that I have a spinal cord injury and, even though using the clutch was fine, getting in and out of the Boxster was becoming increasingly difficult. I really need good visibility as well -

The good news is that I truly love the Forester. It's a fun car and has soul smiling smiley

I'll still check here on Pedros Board from time to time because for me, it's still the people!!

Best of luck with yet another new car, Mer, and with therapy for your spinal cord. Good choice on the Forester.

Boxster egress for many of us is getting more difficult as the years roll on. winking smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Before we bought our Rav4 last year, we drove an XT and liked it a lot. Lots of power and room.

I agree with Roger on the Macan--it's more coin than the Forester ( and probably a bit less room on the inside) but it is a remarkable car-- power, handling and styling, for a SUV smiling smiley.
MikenOH

I agree with Roger on the Macan........is a remarkable car-- power, handling and styling, for a SUV smiling smiley.

Rumor has it, there will be a couple of them at BRBS this year winking smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Gary in SoFL

Gary, so you are going to bring your Forester also to BRBS?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2015 12:57PM by Harvey in FL. (view changes)
Harvey in FL
Gary in SoFL

Ya never know winking smiley

Actually, I'm hoping to check out a Macan or two at BRBS. hot smiley

Gary in SoFL
Harvey in FL
Gary in SoFL

Ya never know winking smiley

Actually, I'm hoping to check out a Macan or two at BRBS. hot smiley

I while back, Porsche announced that since there was a 4 to 6 month wait for the Macan, Porsche would lease a new Boxster or Cayman on a month to month lease while waiting for the Macan to arrive. Now that a deal just for you. The best of two worlds.
That 'great' month to month Boxster lease deal is so costly, there are no takers. Porsche bean counter pricing brilliance strikes again, and given the Macan MSRP pricing, it's actually the worst of two worlds.

I had my hip replaced. in November.

Before surgery - I couldn't comfortably drive the car. After the surgery not at all (yet).

So I have a fear that I will be consigned to driving big (tall) vehicles to spare my hip further damage. Kinda stinks....
... for health issues or other and terribly miss the way the Boxster drives, you can come very close with a Macan S.
The Turbo is WOW! But the S is plenty good.
It's a great city / highway vehicle, but on the track it is outstanding!
I have taken a Macan Turbo on the track and the only car that passed me was a GT3..
As Gary said above, I'm sure that we'll start to see many of them at future BRBSs.
Happy Porscheing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Good choice,thought about you when we went through Atlanta the other day very cold with a very cold wind
Good luck!!
It is indeed a great Porsche and blast to drive... [ahem] when Mrs. I Really Don't Care About Cars lets me sneak hers out for an unaccompanied run grinning smiley
So....will she give you the keys to bring it to BRBS, or perhaps accompany you? confused smiley

Pedro (Weston, FL)
As Gary said above, I'm sure that we'll start to see many of them at future BRBSs.

With all of the great reviews on the Macan, we might have to change the name of the event to the "Porsche Macan Summit".

MIKELLIG
BLKBOXS
Pedro (Weston, FL)

With all of the great reviews on the Macan, we might have to change the name of the event to the "Porsche Macan Summit".

BRMS - Has a nice ring to it. Wonder what Carl will say. drinking smiley

real transmission?
it's pretty well moved into ... (gasp)... WAGON zone. winking smiley

Personally, I think the wagons can (this one definitely included) be sportier looking and more utilitarian than SUV's. To me, they really fit the description of Sport Utility Vehicle better than the tall truck-like vehicles we call SUV's. It's just marketing.

Comparing the BMW 3 series wagon to the X3 - the X3 is taller, but has less useful luggage space with a higher center of gravity. The same seems to be true of most wagon / SUV siblings I've looked at.
Exactly.

I will give Porsche their due, and say that the Macan is an exception. They really have built a tallish SUV that handles. The others... not even close.

My understanding is the Macan was built on the Audi Q5 platform, which in turn, is based on the A4 Avant (wagon) platform.

The Allroad is a slightly raised A4 Avant, but with a wider track, to offset the increased height. Good for snowy climates, and offers easier ingress and egress, yet still a car, not a truck.
NO manual transmission though, just an auto 8-speed (with optional paddle shifters) - the same ZF unit that's in the current BMW 3 series.
Interestingly, the Allroad costs more than the Q5. For many people, that makes no sense - why pay more for a car when you can have a truck for less??? For those of us who want the handling and ride (and efficiency) of a car, with a longer, and overall superior, cargo area, it makes infinite good sense.

Regarding the O5 and the Macan, see:

[blog.caranddriver.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2015 10:05AM by Roger987. (view changes)
Sorry your back issues dictates the change, Mer, but glad you're staying 'The World is Flat' commune. Drive it in better health smiling smiley
You can still hang with you P-car friends! Take your forrester to AutoX :-)
Likely to win its class....

All the best Mer

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login