Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
The PCA Suncoast Region publishes a monthly magazine called "Profile". The below article was written by me and is appearing in the January 2015 issue. I thought y'all would like to read my experience while taking a potty break. Just print it out and enjoy reading it.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What drove me to participate in the PCA Drivers Education program?

Please don’t make the same mistake I did back in Y2K. I purchased my first Porsche which was a Boxster S. About twenty new Boxster owners got together and took the BSR Training Course at Summit Point Raceway in WV. It included understanding vehicle dynamics, skip control, recovery practice on a skid pad & on a slalom course, threshold braking & progressive braking on curves during the morning session in their 1975 Chevy’s. In the afternoon we were driving our own cars on the road course. We were in two groups doing class room for 30 minutes and track time for 30 minutes, on and off. We had just completed classroom session learning what to do if we should early apex and end up with two wheels on the track and two wheels off the track. Do not use the brakes, just drive off or drive back onto the track. A friend of mine must have been day dreaming in the classroom as he early apexed a turn, two wheels off, and two wheels on and hit his brakes. He spun into the tire wall with his new Boxster. Luckily, not much damage. From then on, I was afraid to do DE’s. I just was horrified of crashing my very first Porsche at the track. So, I continued to do autoxing with the new Boxster as I had been doing for the previous five years with my BMW. Fast forward to 2008 when I updated to a 997 and continued autoxing until I retired and moved to Florida in the fall of 2010.

I was a member of the PCA Chesapeake Region for years before I moved in September. While attending my last autox in Maryland, I was talking with Manny Alban, PCA National President, to say my goodbye. He asked me where I was retiring and I told him Sarasota, FL. He said to me, “since you will be living so close to Sebring you need to participate in the PCA Suncoast DE program”. I responded that I was way too old for driving high speeds at a track. He responded by saying there is a member of PCA Suncoast which is in his 80’s and still doing DE’s at Sebring driving a 911. I did not even give this a second thought. No DE’s for me.

Shortly after arriving, I began to continue autoxing with Suncoast. Candi and I then started to attend the many social events. One event we attended was date night at a BBQ restaurant in St. Pete. We got there a little early and sat in the middle of the only long table. Within a few minutes the place was filling up quickly. Directly across from us an older gentleman and his wife joined us. He introduced us to his wife and himself. He said his name was Art Stemler. It always comes up during a conversation with fellow PCA members the question….what kind of car do you drive? He said he drove a 911 turbo. No second thoughts again. However, on the way driving home, my brain came alive and I said to Candi….”I bet Art drives at Sebring”. As soon as I got home, I emailed Manny and asked him…”Is Art Stemler the guy you were talking about who is in 80’s and is still doing DE’s at Sebring”. Being late in the evening, I did not get an answer till the following morning. Manny replied by saying “yes, it is Art Stemler I was talking about”.

As a result of mutable related common events, I decided to try doing a DE to see what it’s all about. I live about 75 miles from Sebring, so why not. At the PCA event I attend class and was assigned an instructor while on the track. I was over whelmed with all this new information I was receiving and was nerves to drive on the track. I remember the instructor saying to me, “why are you holding the steering wheel so tightly, you are driving a Porsche, have fun and enjoy yourself”. With the help of many good PCA instructors, I was able with time to become confident in my driving skills in the 997 and grew to like DE’s very much. I did have one problem after about three trips to the track. I was over driving. What I mean is for example, I allowed a faster car to pass me because I was slower in the turns. As soon as he or she passed me, I would try very hard to keep up with them and began to drive beyond my current abilities. My instructor noticed what I was doing and told me to slow down, only be concern with myself and speed with come with more seat time. I finally cleared this mental problem and enjoyed myself much better.

So, I missed out on about eleven years of doing track time. I’m now an old fart who with proper training is finally enjoying a Porsche the way it can be driven, that is, on the track. I can only make a few suggestions. Drive a few DE’s to see what it’s all about. Have fun and obtain confidence in your driving ability and your car. Further you’re driving experience by participating at different venues. And most important, only drive as fast as your ability will allow. Speed and ability will come with more seat time.

I have so far only driven at Sebring and have obtained the status of a solo driver. Since my solo milestone has been obtained and having made friends with fellow PCA members, we are planning different track venues for 2015 and beyond. So far, we want to travel together to Homestead, Road Atlanta, Barber Motorsports Park, VIR, and National Corvette Museum.

At the end of each driving event you will be walking away with a very common problem called “permagrin”. That’s a good problem to have.

I’m looking forward to driving DE’s well into my 80’s just as Art has.
Great article Harvey! You've given people food for thought.
Great story! We have something in common Harvey: Manny pushed me down this slippery slope as well. smiling smiley I haven't regretted a minute of it.

A couple of us from the Summit Point crowd were at Road Atlanta last year and want to go back - it's definately a bucket list track! We've been talking it up and there may be a few more to join us for the trip down again this year. Their first event is May 30-31. Will let you know as the DE schedules get firmed up and announced and plans are made. Oh, and you should consider adding Watkins Glen to your list in my opinion. smileys with beer

Dave - 06 987 S coupe SG/NL; gone (but still my first love): 03 986 AS/GG/BK;
My wife and I were in our early 50's when we got our 986 and did a lot of auto-x with it, but were not really interested in doing track days because of the potential risks associated with going that fast on a track. We eventually did a track day with our club at an old local track called Nelsons, had an absolute blast and have been doing them for the past 13 years.

I had to laugh about the story of the gentleman doing DEs in his 80's. Years back I had an instructor that was a long time Porsche owner and I mentioned during one of our sessions that I had some family members questioning me doing track days at my advanced age.
He chuckled and then casually mentioned that he had turned 80 a few years earlier and still enjoyed doing track days, but suggested his eye sight wasn't as good as it used to be. I suspect he was kidding, but it was one of those comments that stuck in my head everytime we came into the breaking zone at the end of the back straight at Mid-OH and I'm expecting his instruction on where to start my turn...eye popping smiley
... all the cars break into pieces or where everyone hits the brakes? winking smiley

Talking about driving into extended years, Gold Coast Region extends regular track guys the courtesy of letting them pick their favorite number for their track events.
All of the regular members have their fixed number except one: Billy G.
Billy gets to use his age as his number.
He's semi-retired according to him and in-between Porsches (he wants a Boxster S - he had a 944 S).
The last time he used his number his beautiful blue 944 had a white 94 on its sides.
Billy is a great guy. Very witty and funny.
I took over his job (Chief of Tech and Impound) at the 48 hours at Sebring Club Race some years ago.

Speaking of the 48 Hours, if you've never been to it, it should be on your list.
Even if it's just as a spectator or a volunteer.
It is the LARGEST Club race in a the world. We have over 400 Porsche racecars every year from all corners of North America, Europe and South America.
It always starts the first Thursday after the 24 Hours of Daytona and therefore we generally get many of the GT-Class Porsches brought directly from Daytona to our race.
This year, the event goes from January 28 through February 1.
Come join us!
More info at: [48hoursatsebring.com]

Happy Porscheing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2015 08:01AM by Pedro (Weston, FL). (view changes)
Haa--could be a breaking zone if you brake too late smiling smiley--my bad..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login