Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Sorry if this has been answered, but searches failed to bring up my specific issue. I have been doing some service and now having some issues.
The Car: 1999 Base Boxster. Original Owner. 38,000 miles. Weekend pleasure driver gets approx 2,500 miles/yr.

Current service project underway: All fluids, All filters including fuel, plugs, water pump, motor mount.

Started the above list and then had to let the car sit on jackstands for approx a month. Knowing I had to leave it, I pulled the negative battery cable. I'm PRETTY SURE that I did not have the key in when I pulled the cable. Tonight I went to raise the roof back into the service position so I could get to the engine lid and the key would not turn. The lock has felt stiff on the first turn when left sitting for a week or two between drives for some time. Worse when cold.. Several years ago, I replaced the back end (electric plug) of the lock, but this did not really change the stiff behavior of the turing action.

The current issue feels much more like it's locked VS just stiff. I do not hear the clunk sound when inserting or removing the key. Before unplugging the battery, I ran it on jackstands and pulled the fuel pump fuse to bleed out the fuel lines before replacing fuel filter. Fuse was replaced after the car "died." The remote lock/unlock, door and dome lights, hazard lights and headlights work. Brake lights do not seem to work. Not sure if they should w/o turning key or car running. Steering wheel was not locked, but rotating it to the right, it did lock. Working wheel left-right while working key does not free up the key.

While the car has sat, the key was in the seat. I have plugged and unplugged the battery while trying to fix this, but don't think the ket was in during that. Pretty sure…..

Is this just an extra stiff key in the cold, immobilizer locked, or just coincidence of a broken lock at the wrong time. Personally, too odd to be a coincidence.

Comments?
What Jeff said. Then if still no progress, this is looking like the key switch problem which us usually accompanied by a random variety of strange electrical activity. I think you can look at Pedro's site and find the information about replacing the key switch - it is fairly easy except for positioning your body in the driver's footwell. When my key switch went, it was accompanied by strange electrical gremlins, but it was also hard to turn.
Thanks Guys. I actually got it to turn. Warmed up the key with a heat gun and it helped. Stiff turning action has always been worse in the cold. Also, I did not have a good feel for the resistance turning the key as I was not in my usual position in the seat. Tend not to climb in and out of cars on stands…Anyway, fed something wrong with the lock. Thanks for the tips, will investigate more.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login