Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Can't put off new rear tires any longer(14K miles, GY)...very likely will have to give car back at lease end in 8 months at around 18Kmiles total...hate to spend around $800 the pair from the big three via Tire Rack for those 4K miles but they show no secondary sources...what gives? no Sumi etc? My 2000 BTip had plenty of choices...is it simply there aren't enough 981's around needing more rubber to tempt them to compete? Any suggestions please?

On another point. Residual is 53K(Guards Red, full beige leather, PDK, Sports Chrono, fancy seats- can never remember which! MSRP $77K)...worth it?

UPDATE ON TIRES....my friendly local installer just called to say no Sumis in that size but his wholesaler in Columbus came up with this...Good Year Eagle F1 SuperCar(?!) G2 Yrated...$317 each,installed. Anyone?

PEDRO... Hola!! Long time no see, too long...be safe!
... unless you're getting a GT4 winking smiley
Whether that residual is good or not depends on what you were paying monthly and how much down you put down initially.
When I leased mine for its first 2 years the residual was 50% of new and I was able to negotiate an even better deal to purchase it.
I can't imagine you Boxsterless.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
The super car tires have reviews on TR that aren't good; maybe that's why they have them in stock.

It's been a while since I bought used, but if you're looking for something to be put on to get you through the lease return inspection, these might be worth a look:
[www.bestusedtires.com]

The 265/40/19 tire has few brand choices; the GY F1 asymetric is out of stock and has been for months at TR.
IIRC, Pirelli is the only other current OE tire mfg. in that size.
I think we may have covered this topic before, but my guess is that if you turn the car in, you will be giving it away for substantially less than its real value. In fact, I would be surprised if you don't receive a couple of offers from board members to buy your car for more than 53K. Of course you would have to come up with the 53K to get title to the car.
Steve...

Thanks for your info, sorry to be so long responding. I haven't had the need recently to keep up with used market but judging by your implicit valuation I better get into it! The car will almost certainly have to be sold (NOT turned in!)

About tires...Despite what their web site shows Tire Rack do apparently have the Good Years in stock, $830 the pair.
I just reread your post and found something I missed the first time through. It sounds like you are planning on just replacing the rear tires. If so, they should be the same brand and type as the front tires. Mixing tires front to back is generally regarded as a bad idea.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login