Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
[www.pca.org]

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2015 10:01PM by Harvey in FL. (view changes)
He describes the Zen of driving to a T. It's all about the feel and being one with the car. Porsche got this one 99% right.

Thank you Porsche for listening to the driving enthusiast who wants to be totally involved in the driving experience. I can see the beaming smile on Ferdinand's face now.
Essentially, you'll be getting the peformance of a 996 GT3 in a new, mid-engine car. 991 GT3 brakes, suspension components and the 3.8l motor will make this a great car to drive on the track. Interesting they kept the 6 Spd tranny rather than just go with the 991 7 spd.
This will be a good option for those that can't afford the 991 GT3 ($150K) and might have been thinking about a used 996 or 997.1 GT3.
BTW,I like the idea of not going with CL hubs; it also sounded like the club sport option will add all the stuff (roll bar/harness) that a serious track junkie would do.

Last, there are a lot of threads on different forums about how this car compares with less expensive models from GM (Camaro 1LE,ZL-1,Z-28, C7 Z51 or Z06) or Ford (Mustang GT/GT350).

Regarding the GM models, all of the ones I've mentioned have a sticker of less than the GT4, and a lot more HP, but burdened with a lot more weight (camaro) or relying on SC's for their power (ZL-1, Z06).

I know a couple of guys that have moved to the new C7 Z51 from Porsche, for various reasons, that might have stayed with Porsche had this car been available.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2015 09:56AM by MikenOH. (view changes)
... it comes in a convertible winking smiley
I've heard, for MY 2016.
Woohoo!
Happy GTFour'ing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Pedro (Weston, FL)
... it comes in a convertible winking smiley
I've heard, for MY 2016.
Woohoo!
Happy GTFour'ing,
Pedro

I agree with your about the convertible version, Pedro. Again, from what I've read, there won't be a Boxster GT4. The Boxster high performance version will have a different name and will have the current GTS's engine with the added performance coming from weight savings and chassis tuning. I guess it follows the 911 model. There's no convertible GT3 either. To me it makes sense if you're designing a car designed primarily for track use, that a coupe makes more sense.

To me, it was encouraging that Porsche listened to those enthusiasts who wanted the driving involvement of shifting their own gears. I don't have anything again the PDK, as long as Porsche builds a manual.
[www.caranddriver.com]

Happy Waiting,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

Another GREAT Porsche Ad

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Gary knows his stuff:

7:58​ 981.1 BS
7:55 981.1 CS
7:52 BMW M4
7:40 GT4
7:37.9 991.1 S
7:29 991.1 TT
7:26 991.1 TTS
7:25 991.1 GT3
7:22.68 C6 Z06
7:18 997 GT2RS
6:57 918

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2015 04:38PM by Harvey in FL. (view changes)
Harvey in FL
Gary knows his stuff:

7:58​ 981.1 BS
7:55 981.1 CS
7:52 BMW M4
7:40 GT4
7:37.9 991.1 S
7:29 991.1 TT
7:26 991.1 TTS
7:25 991.1 GT3
7:22.68 C6 Z06
7:18 997 GT2RS
6:57 918

One thing to keep in mind is the 7:40 time is a computer generated estimate, so the actual time could be a bit faster or slower. Andreas did state, the Ring won't be open foe testing until April or even May.
Guenter in Ontario
Harvey in FL
Gary knows his stuff:

One thing to keep in mind is the 7:40 time is a computer generated estimate, so the actual time could be a bit faster or slower. Andreas did state, the Ring won't be open foe testing until April or even May.

From those numbers, it appears the fast PCars don't have many 'foes' grinning smiley
Guenter in Ontario

Yes, you are correct. I also did not show all the times at the ring, mainly Porsche's. The GT4 @ 7:40 would be tie in 53 place.

[fastestlaps.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2015 10:23AM by Harvey in FL. (view changes)
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Ed from Long Island (Tampa)
05S Cobalt/Blue/Blue
it came in at less than $95K. Now all I have to do is wait for the PDK option. That's cheap for some one who wants track performance.

BTW: $0 to drop AC, $0 to drop radio.

[www.porsche.com]
... get it with A/C and radio, then bring it by and I won't charge you to keep your radio and your A/C winking smiley
Happy GT Four'ing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

They did a nice job on the air intake cowling, improving on what I regard as one of very few aesthetic shortcomings of the 981.
Harvey in FL
[www.pca.org]

[www.youtube.com]

Santa...forget about the Boxster GTS ....here comes the Boxster GT4hot smiley Triple Black please!!!

MIKELLIG
Yup, but I think that Cayman GT4 was made for yellow. Not many cars are.
Sorry boys and girls, might I delicately suggest the 'manual-only' GT4 is just another example of Porsche's cynical marketing, intentionally detuning the GT4 via choice of gearbox? Surely a PDK GT4 is good for two seconds at the 'ring, thereby embarrassing it's 991 stable mates? An EVO piece in 2013 said PDK was good for 1.5 seconds on a small course (Bedford Autodrome). Extrapolate that difference to the 'ring and you might see 8 seconds, good to be within spitting range of a 991 Turbo (7:29).

Discuss!
"Sorry boys and girls, might I delicately suggest the 'manual-only' GT4 is just another example of Porsche's cynical marketing, intentionally detuning the GT4 via choice of gearbox? "

I agree.
jlegelis
Sorry boys and girls, might I delicately suggest the 'manual-only' GT4 is just another example of Porsche's cynical marketing, intentionally detuning the GT4 via choice of gearbox?).

Discuss!

I agree about the "detuning", but only regarding the engine. Why detune the engine from 400 to 385 HP?

I disagree about the manual-only being detuning. It might reduce track times by a few tenths here or there, depending on the driver of course*. Going back to when the GT3 came out, there were a lot of people (ones interested in purchasing this class of car) disappointed/upset that it was PDK only. They were the ones who wanted that total involvement in the driving experience. It's for these people that they decided to develop the GT4 with a manual only for now. As Andreas suggested, that it's possible if the GT4 sells well, there could be a PDK option available at some time in the future.

* About those few tenths. We also have to remember that there are some drivers who only drive "flat out" as in this video. Remember that the driver makes a big difference how any car performs.
[youtu.be]
I remember in the interview it was stated that the engine makes "at least" 385hp, so it looks like they generally will make more, but advertising it at 385hp. I'm guessing another marketing decision.
gedwin
I remember in the interview it was stated that the engine makes "at least" 385hp, so it looks like they generally will make more, but advertising it at 385hp. I'm guessing another marketing decision.

When you compare Porsche factory performance claims to instrument tests in automobile magazines / websites, in almost every case, the test results are better than factory claims, which to me is smart marketing. Who wouldn't be happy if their car exceeds the manufacturer's claims.
Something mentioned here is that the gear shift throws are shorter than on other 981's. ..hmmmmm wonder if that's going to be available as a kit.

[www.youtube.com]
Guenter in Ontario
Something mentioned here is that the gear shift throws are shorter than on other 981's. ..hmmmmm wonder if that's going to be available as a kit.

[www.youtube.com]

Sure....attached to the GT4 grinning smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login