Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Buying a Boxster
dak911 - 9 years ago
"Contemplating a "new to me" Boxster.
Well, I'm done with the Z3's, and looking for a Boxster (again)
I've had an 02 S and an 00 Base....
Looking to spend no more than say $22k....Unfortunately (!) must be automatic....so, PDK starts with 09 I think, and the 09 has done away with the IMS?
What do you think?
Tnx guys
Daniel
But for $22k you're probably looking at a 987.1 --with the IMS--rather than the 987.2 that doesn't.
I'm thinking you'd have to go roughly $30K to get a 987.2.

Here's what is on cars.com in your range:
[www.cars.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2015 05:42PM by MikenOH. (view changes)
Local M/B dealer has a PDK 09 for .....asking $27 41,000 miles....(I'd have PEDRO do a PPI after I look at it)
Sounds like a great price; a PPI is required for sure--I saw a 2010 with low mileage in that price range but had 2 accidents on it's carfax sad smiley
dak911
Local M/B dealer has a PDK 09 for .....asking $27 41,000 miles....(I'd have PEDRO do a PPI after I look at it)

I go along with MikenOH says, including this would be without the IMS. Sounds like this 09 is in your target area. That is an asking price. You can obviously offer less. I'd say if you like the car and if it passes Pedro's PPI you'd be getting a great car.
For those who don't know him, Daniel is a VERY savvy used pre-owned car buyer and seller. thumbs up smileys with beer

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Oh, Gary, Gary, Gary.....thanks....actually trying to convince the boss that we REALLY need to get back into the P car family now that the 997 is gone....
I believe base engines in the 987.2 had IMS and no DI, 987.2S had the 9A1 engine/no IMS. The 981 engines are all 9A1/no IMS.
gedwin
I believe base engines in the 987.2 had IMS and no DI, 987.2S had the 9A1 engine/no IMS. The 981 engines are all 9A1/no IMS.

I thought that starting with my 09 ALL engines were NO IMS.??
dak911
gedwin

From what I understand, the 987.2 Base Boxster got the 9A1 2.9 engine without DFI. The 987.2 Boxster S got the 9A1 3.4 engine with DFI. The 9A1 engine does not have an IMS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2015 04:59PM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
dak911
gedwin

I believe you are correct; the 2.9l motor on the base has no IMS; here's a link:
[www.oregonpca.org]

quote from story:
"Beginning with MY09, the M97 engine was retired and was replaced with the 9A1 engine which features improvements such as direct fuel injection and more notably, the lack of an intermediate shaft or IMS bearing."
Sorry about that. My bad! sad smiley
Re: Buying a Boxster
TimD - 9 years ago
You are correct. No IMS from 09 on with either base 2.9L or 3.4L.
I went to eyeball the 09 Boxster (listed as an automatic) at MERCEDES BENZ OF COCONUT CREEK.
These idiots don't know the difference between AUTOMATIC and Manual, PDK, don't even ask...
Well at least the WALMART had some "cheap" 9mm, I always go into every WALMART I pass for it...
Perhaps the Mercedes dealer confused the auto dimming mirrors with an automatic transmission? winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login