Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
This is Walter feels about them.

And what does Walter drive?

[jalopnik.com]
So, does he prefer the Boxster Spyder to a 981 which is also without turbo?
... more raw than the 981.
Walter probably got it with the radio and A/C delete as well.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
While I haven't had an oppotunity to drive a Boxster Spyder, I can't really make a personal comparison between it and the 981. I can only agree with Alexander Palevsky (who owns a Boxster Spyder) when he drove his Spyder and a 981* back to back and wrote his impression in the January 2014 edition of Panorama where he wrote:

"As for the $1,235 X73 Sport Suspention? To order a Boxster or Cayman without it is to miss out on one of the best Porsche driving experiences of the 21st century."

*the 981 in the comparison was a base 981 with manual, X73 suspension, PTV.

You can't order a Boxster Spyder any more. But, for at least a short while longer, you can still order a 981 S with X73 Sport Suspension, PTV, Sport Plus seats and normally asperated flat six to get, what I still believe, will be the best Boxter you'll be able to buy. The exception being the possible Boxster version of the track focused Cayman GT4.

You read what Walter said about the flat fours.
I've seen spy photos of a 981 Boxster Spyder, so there may be one last normally aspirated hurrah past the GTS. Like the GT4, it'll be tough to get, so as Guenter & Walter say, better get one before it's too late. Kevin the Slow can vouch for mine.

I have a little seat time in a 987 Boxster Spyder and a fair amount in a Cayman R. The biggest difference to me is the hydraulic steering is superior. The 981 EPAS is very good, but not outstanding like the BS and Cayman R. The 981 has a longer wheelbase, so it's not as prone to a little chop and skitter as the Cayman R when pushed harder on bad pavement.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login