Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I am going to replace my tires on my boxster and will need a wheel alignment. Does anybody have any suggestions,other then Brumos Porsche, in the Jacksonville area.
I just want someone who is reliable.......I am not sure is I can trust Tire Kingdom or Sun tire.
... an alignment?
If you haven't hit anything (pot hole, road debris, etc.) and the car is tracking true and the tires are wearing evenly (side to side) you don't neen an alignment.
What you will definitely need is road-force balancing so make sure that your tire mounting shop has a road-force balancer.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
There is excessive wear on the front inside tires. The car tracks true.
... wear like the rears.
Inside wear means too much negative camber.
I'm not too familiar with the Jax area but I would not take it to any tire place.
You need to make sure that they know Porsche's suspension geometry and have the correct specs.
I'm sure there must be several qualified shops in your area.
Happy Porscheing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

Very strange
grant - 9 years ago
Most of us track rates wish we could get excess negative camber in the front, but are limited by the degree of adjustability in the system.

All this says i'd want a real pro looking at what really is going on.
Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Almost certainly, the toe in is wrong. I've encountered this a number of times with other cars but never my Porsches. I had the GTO aligned at some indy tire shop here in town and after some thousands of miles I noticed the inner edges were wearing. The cause was no mystery, just a lousy alignment. The Porsche front tires cover easy 40K miles and wear is even across the tread face.

The OP will probably have to replace the front tires and then get the car properly aligned. If he gets a *before* and *after* printout of the settings -- and he should or imho he's not getting a good alignment -- he'll see where the issue was. The printouts I get have the wrong settings highlighted in the *before* section in red.
typically results from a little negative camber but more from the dragging that results from toe being off.

Also agree that you want to see the "before" and "after" - both for understanding, and to ensure that the job was really done right.

Grant

Grant

... I started talking about the front axle and then switched to the rear sad smiley
If a car had so much negative camber up front to wear the insides it would be unsteerable.
Of course it's the toe (toe out) that needs to be brought back to spec.
That car must feel nervous and doesn't offer directional stability.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Pedro (Weston, FL)
... an alignment?
If you haven't hit anything (pot hole, road debris, etc.) and the car is tracking true and the tires are wearing evenly (side to side) you don't neen an alignment.
What you will definitely need is road-force balancing so make sure that your tire mounting shop has a road-force balancer.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Two things actually - a Road Force balancer AND a technician who knows how to use it.
The RFB is largely un necessary.

It mostly finds out of round spots and tells you how to cover them up with counter-balancing weight.

I suggest making it round.

Grant

Grant

My understanding is a good tech using RFB will move the tire on the wheel so that the high point of the wheel corresponds with the low point of the tire, to reduce the use of weights and achieve a better balance..
One first has to measure the wheel alone. Then spin the combo. Then dismount and remount. Even then its a crap shoot.

If both are significant deviations best to fix or replace.

Grant

Grant

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login