Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
coolant
boxsterd - 9 years ago
I think I have a slow coolant leak. I've had to top off the coolant after the red warning light came on the last 2 months.
Anyone know what the problem might be and if it's a DIY project for someone who can at most change the oil and filter?
Must I use Porsche branded coolant or is there something I can buy at Kragen?

TIA.
The problem with a coolant leak is the leak, not the coolant.
You have to determine where it's leaking from.
1.- The most likely cause is an out-of-date and worn coolant cap. Check to see if you can see any white residue around it on the bottom.
2.- The second most likely cause is a cracked expansion tank. Pull the carpeting on the floor of the rear trunk and inspect for coolant. If you find liquid coolant the tank is cracked.
3.- Less likely a leak in one of the coolant lines and/or radiators.

I, as you say you have limited mechanical prowess, I would only recommend attempting No. 1.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Another possible cause is a worn water pump.
110k miles.
I checked the coolant cap and didn't see any white residue.
Is there a cheap coolant mixture I can buy at Kragen or must I use the Porsche coolant?
TIA.
... don't worry so much about the coolant and try to find the leak.
As Boxsterra says you could very well have a leaking water pump.
If you can get under the car, on the lower right front of the engine look for white residue.
You can use any coolant that says its phosphate and silicate free.
Happy Boxsteting
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
I had a slow leak and there was no visible residue anywhere. Replacing the cap with the OEM part solved the problem.
I recommend replacing it regardless of whether or not it's causing your current problem. The earlier ones have a flawed design and replacement is super cheap ($18.89 at AutoHausAz, for example).

The part #s of the newest caps end with .04
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login