Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Air in my spare tire dropped considerably. I check it regularly, so I was a bit surprised. Filled it up, but air streamed out. Took the tire to a local America's Tire shop. They refused to work on it since the born date is 2000. I asked them to just replace the valve insert. OK, but cannot pressurize it. They could not even find a replacement tire in their database.

Took it to another shop and they filled it and then noticed that the filler rubber extension was ripped. They replaced the valve and rubber extension for no charge.

Question- Are others with older Boxsters replacing their space tire due to age? I think I have maybe 25 miles on the tire (used twice?). Tire Rack does not show this in their inventory either. Dealer only item?
Have not looked into this other than finding the Web page, but this is the correct size tire

[www.worldimpex.com]
You are truly one in a million. You are actually doing the right thing. The worst time to find out the spare tire is under inflated is just when it is needed because of course one of the regular tires is flat.

I can't recall where I came upon this bit of info -- hope I'm not channeling Brian Williams -- but I seem to recall Porsche considers the spare tire life 10 years. While it places tire life of the other tires at 6 years, I guess the spare being out of the sun and less exposed to the elements, is good for 4 more years.

I hate to admit this but I haven't checked the spare tire inflation pressure in my Boxster for a long long time. Maybe the techs do this when I have the car in for service, but I have no way of knowing. I am not about to replace the tire as long as the next time I check its pressure and properly inflate the tire and it shows no signs of air escaping. Like the spare tire in your car the one in my car has just a few miles on it after being used no more than 2 times.
Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
don't say it's near the distributor cap and carburetor.
... cable-operated throttle body.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Half a century old and still running great. ....and there's that dipstick right out in the open.

in this one.

I hope you were not implying that the dipstick was behind the wheel, because that could be misinterpreted to read that the dipstick could be the one driving the car (LOL). TLC356 (C Cab since 1979, Pre-A, "55 coupe)
But it is!
grant - 9 years ago
.. spoilsport :-)

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
I've never used mine...knock on wood. Never check the pressure, but keep a mini tire compressor in the front trunk that can be used in case I ever need to fill the air in the tire.
I am getting the 60k service tomorrow so I reviewed the maintenance items to be covered. The manual recommends replacing the tire sealant at 40k, so I am late doing it, but I think I read somewhere else to replace the sealant every 4 years.

Boxsters w/o spares come with an air pump. I also carry a puncture kit in my cars. It allows you to take out a nail and patch it, then with the pump re-inflate the tire. I have never had a flat or puncture in my Boxster (knock on wood), but given the option, I would try to repair the patch first before using the tire sealant.

1999 Arctic Sivler/black/black (sold)
2008s Silver/black/black - so predictable
2011 Outback
8/24/2011 first Grandson
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login