Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Long term test of a Cayman S with X73 Sport Suspension?

[www.caranddriver.com]
Guenter in Ontario
Long term test of a Cayman S with X73 Sport Suspension?

[www.caranddriver.com]

Their review is similar to my experience--for the pure driving pleasure, it's hard to beat this car.
The lower suspension hasn't been a problem as long as you approach potenital issues (raised/uneven driveways) slowly and at an angle.

Regarding the lack of dipstick--seems to me if you're going to replace a manual oil measuring system with a digital one, it had better be fool proof and very accurate. The one the C&D car was neither.
As related on an earlier post, when I saw my oil level was down one bar--measured on an even surface--I added oil in very small amounts to bring it back to full. In my case, 3-4 oz. added brought me back to full, despite the gauge show down a full bar (roughly 16 oz.). I can see where if you just took this gauge indication at face value you could get into an over fill situation quickly.

Somewhat related--Topgear did a recent comparison test between the GTS and the C7 Z51 and the gang there unanimously chose the C7 over the GTS for a number of reasons, including looks.
Recently we spent some time in FL and while on the road, a 981CS in GR pulled up next to us on the road and the my first thought was how amazing the car looked in that color (especially since I haven't seen our car in nearly 4 months). A bit farther down the road a white C7 passed us and while the shape looked interesting from certain angles, there were some styling points I still don't get nearly a year and a half since the launch. Different strokes I guess,but I was a bit surprised at how the TG gang loved how it looked.

Just in case you haven't seen it,the video ( you have to get past the junk for the first 2 minutes on the front end)

[www.youtube.com]
I agree about the ride compliance. Since I drove my 2006 987 to the dealer to pick up my 981 with the X73. I had a back to back comparison. I couldn't believe that the comfort over rough surfaces was nearly the same for both cars, even though I have the 20" wheels. The handling in the twisties is a whole different story. And, there've been a few different review's / tests that say the same thing about the Sport Suspension. I agree that the one thing you have to be aware of, when driving it, is those driveway entrances. If it's a bit steep you have to take it at an angle and some you just have to avoid. Takes knowing the car and a bit of common sense.

I've found that electronic gauges in both my 987 and the 981 to pretty darn accurate. What people have to remember is that the oil gauge shows in segments and not continuous like the fuel gauge. If you're on level ground, you can be down 15 oz. and it will still show full. Drop another 2 oz. and it will show down one level. People also have to remember that the level can show up and down a level between readings for a couple of reasons:
  • Car might not be on level ground. (I recall on our California trip, reading the oil level in the AM, with car downhill on the right, showing down 3 bars. Later that day, filling it up, it show over filled at a gas stop and the car downhill on the left. That led me to believe that the oil sensor is on the left side of the engine.)
  • A number of cold engine starts with short runs will add water to the oil, showing higher oil levels. Then take a long hot run. The water gets burned off and oil shows correct reading again.
And yes. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I've just always had a thing for roadsters. I always liked the look of the AH 3000 and the late 50's Corvettes. The Boxster has the classic roadster shape, done up in a modern package. It's a timeless design. I still think the Boxster is the most beautiful car that Porsche builds. I know the 918 Spyder has a sexy, futuristic, muscular / exotic design. The Boxster is just a pure, classic but modern roadster, that lets the driver feel at one with the car. I have yet to drive a car that comes anywhere near the experience of driving the Boxster through the twisties on a sunny warm day.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login