Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
I wasn't going to do it, but I did, now I may have a problem, and not sure how to approach it.

I had my tires replaced, but not the tpms sensors. Then the sensors went bad, so I drove for the past 10k with the warning light on.

Too long a story to tell, but I had an opportunity to have the sensors replaced at cost (no labor). However, they will not "learn" and reset. I have driven around 30 miles in the "learning" mode. When I push the lever to read pressure: 1) I get a reading for the right two tires only; 2) it reads 31, 36 when cold and after driving, so that seems wrong too (pressure should increase).

So, I could have faulty tire sensors even though they are new, but that seems unlikely. My question: There must be a sister sensor in the dash or cpu that gets the signal from the tire sensors. Has anyone had an experience with that unit going bad?

Or, maybe some one can suggest a trick to get the system to recalibrate. The system has not been "on" for about two years, so maybe I need to go to my indy shop (not where the sensors were installed) to have the cpu reset in some way.

p.s. the tire shop that installed them is very reputable and recommended by my local PCA, so I feel pretty good about the installation, even thought the unit(s) could be bad.

1999 Arctic Sivler/black/black (sold)
2008s Silver/black/black - so predictable
2011 Outback
8/24/2011 first Grandson
When the TPMS is inactive for a while due to dead batteries in the sensors they need to be forced into relearning the new sensors with a PIWIS.
Most of the time the car "sees" the sensors within the first 10-30 miles of driving, but 1 out of 5 times it doesn't and you have to use the PIWIS.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
PIWIS?
Bobtesa - 9 years ago
Pedro, for my benefit, and maybe others', what is a PIWIS? Thanks, Bob
OK, the piwis is the diagnostic tool. So, I may need to go to my indy shop to reset the tpms?
Dumb question-- does it affect the car at all if we just ignore the TPMS? Or disable it?
Not a dumb question. Not having tpms in no way effects the car. Cars didn't used to have it, and they don't need it now except it is required to be in new cars.

However, it can be a plus to know your car's tire pressure when driving. Especially at speeds on highways. I have not had many flats in recent years, but have had a few (I recall 3 between me and wife in the past 10 years). Catching it early can save a wheel, or maybe even a life if the leak is fast and the flat tire effects handling at hight speeds.

I have driven w/o tpms for 50 years and I didn't replace the sensors when I got new tires on my Boxster. My wife hit a pothole last week in her car and it blew her tire. So, given the chance to re-install them at the cost of the sensors only (no labor for mounting and balancing), I decided other can cost, it can't hurt, but it could help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login