Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
PDK
Roger987 - 9 years ago
Watching this review, it seems pretty clear Guido really likes the PDK, right?

[www.youtube.com]

But, then when you read this:

[www.thegetawayer.com]

he offers us more insight.

He makes a very compelling case that the full 'sports car' experience (as contrasted with 'race-car' experience) might be best had with a manual.

There's no right or wrong. As Guenter and others here have said, each person has to decide what his or her goal is, in buying a Boxster.

And yes, I'm back in search mode. winking smiley
He expresses the sentiment of manual vs. PDK as well as the best native-English speaker. He mentions Aisin as the manual transmission make; that's fine, and fortunately, as far as I know, Porsche doesn't use Takata airbags!
I did not get it until I drove one but:

- it is simply always in the right gear
- it downshifts faster than I can think about it with a throttle blip
- and the up shifts are unnoticeable they are so fast; there is never a delay

Makes me feel even more in control of the car than when I had a manual.

Porsche just got it right with PDK...its a lot of fun and if I want to shift I have the paddles on the sport steering wheel.

I can make it feel as smooth as a luxury car or it can be very raw; even without pushing the sport or sport plus buttons...plus I can now drive in flip flops now...:-)
that you have to experience it before you can render a true judgement of what even you will like best. And a quick test drive is probably not enough.

In the end, the writer prefers a manual but as he said there's a world of difference between the 1st and 2nd generation PDK. I suspect Porsche will continue to improve and refine it.
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
and I don't mean mine since I'm a certified geezer.
I like things the old fashioned way. I like a manual gearbox. And I like to have the spark advance on a lever on the steering wheel (so that a REAL driver can get the most from the engine). And I like to start my car with a crank (the way a MAN starts their car). But, alas, my car (a 2014 Boxster S) has none of those features.

The PDK is really very good, however.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login