Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Hi all:

I have a 2004 S and I encountered a problem this morning. Two days ago before a run, I checked the oil level w/ the electronic indicator and noticed that the level was low by 2 bars. I thought, it's due for an oil change soon so no need to top off the level now. When I started the car this morning, I drove a few hundred feet and the oil light came on. I went back into the garage and added a quart of oil. Restarted the car and the oil light came on again.

I did not check the oil on the dip stick since I had just started the car plus I was now late for work. There are no leaks on the floor. I'm thinking it could be the sending unit but I don't know where it's located to change it. Any thoughts or insight will be greatly appreciated.

Don E.
A few observations.
grant - 9 years ago
1. two bars is about 400 ml, or less than 1/2 qt down. So, in reacting to that, you should have added < 1/2 qt
2. Oil lights come on fir various reasons - pressure, level primarily. Was it oil LEVEL nto pressure?
3. If so, it certainly sounds like a sender. But step #1 is to verify it. Let oil find its level (car on a truly level surface) and check the dipstick.

Marc has written a detailed note on the location and operation of the sender. I cant recall if its easy to access or not, i suspect not.

Good luck.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Grant,

Well I guess I overfilled the car by ~one half of a quart, that gives me more incentive to change the oil again. I ordered a new pressure switch and will wait for it's arrival.

I tried searching for the note you mentioned but had no luck.

I'll let you know if it was a simple fix.
... Then proceed, - mike and marc have provided good info below.

Grant

A 996 oil pressure sender replacement is documented here.
And letting the oil level run down to "Min" could be mitigated by not adding more and more oil to an extreme overfill.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2015 05:07PM by Laz. (view changes)
.. i appear to have experienced this after i put in a techno-sump. Oil gets trapped above it and inconsistently reads lower than it is - so i put oil in, and couldn't figure out why my car drank it like a parched runner. Now i know that i MUST a) leave it a while, and b) activate the measurement routine a 2nd time ( the first completes before ti has drained, and apparently, the car stores it and gives it back when you trun the key - do it again and i get a different, correct. reading - consistently)

G

Grant

If the latter this reads like the level sensor is failing. This sensor fits into the engine from the top of the engine under the intake manifold. I have no idea how hard it is to replace.

The oil pressure sensor is a bit easier to get to and replace but I do not know if one goes at this from above, or from inside the cabin -- after removing the engine access panel from behind the seats -- or even if it has to be done from under the car.

Right now the engine probably has too much oil in it by roughly 1/2 quart.

Up to you but were it my car I'd probably not drive it too much, if at all, but instead change the oil and get the level right. In changing the oil and adding the correct amount this gives you -- or whoever does the job -- the opportunity to check the function of the oil level sensor and confirm it reads the right level after the engine having been properly drained, then refilled with a *known* quantity of oil.
I just wanted to drop a quick note on the situation. I just changed the oil and replaced the oil pressure sensor. All is now well on the Boxster.

The oil pressure sensor on a 986 is wrench accessable through the front access panel. However you need to snake your hand down through the top in order to grasp the sensor and change it out. Being a contortionist helps.

Right now the oil level sensor matches what's on the dip stick and the oil pressure light is off.

Thank you all for your advice. Now we are ready for the road and the BRBS. smiling bouncing smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login