Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
After my post regarding the coolant in my car, I realized that one of the people offering information was a first time poster. So a hearty welcome to blue981. Great to see your helpful first post.

With the start (for us northerners) of the Porsche driving season, I think it would be terrific if any people who've been lurking on the board to make a post and introduce themrselves. We always enjoy hearing from new members and maybe tell us what brought you to the world of Porsche. ...ah, yes, and if you could include a picture and information about your car, that would be fabulous.

Looking forward to see some of your posts.
Thanks Guenter
We have been lucky enough to own a couple of these great cars. We had a 2004 Boxster S Spyder edition for three seasons and are starting our third season with the 2013 Boxster S. I had been wanting a convertible roadster for quite a few years but not sure what it would be, then made the mistake of test driving a Boxster.. and the rest is history....
I look forward to meeting the folks at this years BRBS, it sounds like a great group of people.

cheers
Paul

Took me a bit to figure out how to post pics but here are a few. Hope they work out.

Put away in its cocoon for the winter.

mid winter check to see that all is ok..

ready for another season..
Thanks for posting Paul. That's the first time I've seen the cacoon used, cool. Is thst your garage? Is the air used to inflate the cacoon filtered to keep the dust out?

What other options do you have? Looks like you have the agate/pebble interior. It looks like a sharp interior option.
... to keep car I would inflate it with pure Nitrogen.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
I thought the pics of the bubble would get some comments smiling smiley.. its called a carcoon...[www.carcoon.com].
it has two intakes at the rear that have small 12V fans. it takes about 30 minutes to inflate.. just like those inflatable lawn ornaments you see at Christmas. The intakes have charcoal filters, so if you put away a clean car, in the spring its relatively clean as well. Its a bit of overkill but i obtained it as a present.
The thing i like about it is that it provides a bit of physical protection as well since i do keep it in my garage at the front of my other cars..it gets a bit tight.

Some of the options of the 981 - Aqua Blue metallic with Blue top. Two-tone Agate Grey/Pebble Grey interior.
PDK (7-sp), Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV), Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM), Bi-Xenon w Porsche Dynamic Lighting System (PDLS), Sport Chrono Package in conjunction w PCM, Infotainment Package w BOSE Surround Sound System.
Where did you get it?

Well I am not a newby by any means but I rarely post these days. I have been on the board from the very early days and regularly follow the discussions. Spring once again lets me unwrap my 01 986 which brings me lots of pleasure. As always it starts up first time, very little smoke and runs smoothly. The car has been virtually maintenance free with very few issues. It still is a pleasure to drive although I envy and drool over the 981's.
With the advent of Spring and reappearance of black topped roads, it's almost like a newbie as we unwrap our cars and appreciate them all over again.

Nice shot. At least there's no doubt whose car it is. smiling smiley Which track is that?
Shannonville. Coming on to the front straight.
My wife and I picked up our very first Porsche (a beautiful lapis blue, 2001 Boxster 2.7) last winter. Price and availability for convertibles in the Pacific Northwest is really good for buying that time of year, and the prices on these 986 gen Boxsters have just gotten surprisingly reasonable / affordable! (So, I easily could justify this instead of a newer subcompact car I was looking at, which actually would have cost more than the Porsche.)

I was looking at newer econobox type cars (actually really appreciated the new ford ecoboost fiesta 1.0 liter turbo), and realized for less money I can actually get a really nice, used (and somewhat high miles, but well maintained) Porsche that my wife and I have always appreciated. When we saw this particular car from a private party, (the Aerokit makes is pretty unique, and we also really like the lapis blue color, and of course I've always liked those turbo-look wheels), and the price was doable, so we just had to have it. And so, we did.

We figure the maintenance costs will likely be higher with the Porsche, I'm kind of a car nut so might end up doing some of the work myself. And even if I had to hire folks to do all the work, I figure not having new car depreciation will probably at least completely offset the maintenance costs. (And then, there will be the benefit of, in the meantime, getting to drive a sweet Porsche rather than an economy car. smiling smiley )

My wife also recently battled (and beat) a bout of breast cancer (the whole nine yards, with chemo, radiation therapy, and lumpectomy), and so after all that, we figured it was time to celebrate life and get that Porsche we always wanted. It will be parked outside and daily driven by the way. smiling smiley
Sounds like you've had a round of good luck. Glad to hear that your wife is doing well.

Congratulations on you first Porsche. Sounds like you're really enjoying it. Of course I can't imagine anyone not enjoying driving a Porsche. smiling smiley

Not sure where you're located or exactly when you got your Boxster, but hope you've had a chance to drive it with the top down and experience some permagrin. We'd love to see some pictures and hear about some of the options your car has.
Thanks for the warm welcome, Guenter!

There's a pic of the lapis blue beauty. The interior is black and grey. Metropol blue top. It has the usual 2001 features, like the 3-spoke steering wheel. Of course it had to have a manual transmission to be a proper sports car (IMO), and we certainly have been enjoying the top down frequently! Love the way the engine sounds when you wind up the RPMs.

Of course there are some projects on it in the works. Either fixing things, maintaining things, or improving things... I am collecting parts to do some suspension work on it (including going to try some new Koni sports, which are a brand new product for the 986). The suspension right now just doesn't work like a Porsche should. (I come from an autocrossing background, I am probably extremely picky about my suspensions smiling smiley ). I am going to retrofit some M030 springs (sourced from another friendly member here on the forum here, Larry), while I'm at it.

I've been also easing my way into doing some detailing projects on it (with a goal being to make it look like new), and I'm on the learning curve there, but I have some other cars I've been practicing my technique on before tackling the Porsche.

There are a few mechanical quirks I'm sorting through, which I am hopeful of getting forum help in solving as needed. ( But I guess I'll get into that later.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2015 12:57AM by jakeru. (view changes)
Welcome to PB.
Feel free to ask away whenever you need to.
Glad to have you join us.
Nice car!
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
I can tell already that Porsche owners are a nice, fun crowd! The couple we bought this car from were also great.

Here is a side shot, with the top down:

I checked on when we bought this car by the way, and it was in November 2014. At the time there were probably at least a dozen 986s advertised on the local craigslist. I just checked what's listed there now, and was surprised to see not even one.
Great picture. Looks like your co-pilot is already "suffering" from permagrin.smiling smiley ....and that's the way to really enjoy a boxster - with the top down. smileys with beer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login