Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Call me crazy...
Frissen - 9 years ago
Call me crazy... And I know this will bring lots of controversy, but I like the 986 more than the 987 now that both are older models...

I won't.
Laz - 9 years ago
The 986 side intakes are better integrated because they are a "repeating form" that is also seen in the overall door shape; the windows and door panels alone, the side mirrors, and from a certain point of view, the vertical (¾ rear) sections of the top. This form is evident in the interior to a degree, too. The 987 side intakes seem better suited to their variant (upsweeping strakes rather than horizontal) on the Cayman's first iteration. I suppose the factory's reasoning for the Boxster was to have another aesthetic connection to the Cayman, and perhaps for possible production simplifcation for the internal fan/duct components.

The 986 headlights, while more "exotic" and exciting, have the integrated fog lights, which are too high to do much good for that condition, although still helpful for augmented lighting on dark, unlit roads. Fog lights should be as low as possible (e.g. in the front apron, in order to illuminate the road surface, not the fog itself.) The 981's (maybe the 987's, too) lighting optics might mitigate this: The 981 literature, at least concerning the PDLS option, speaks of refocussing the headlight beams when the rear fog is on, although I can't detect any difference.

Lastly, the 986 is truer to giving homage to the 550, with its soft lines. The 987 is a partial evolution away from this, but a good design in its own right. Obviously, the 981 Boxster is a complete break from that concept, although the front fenders pick up on the 917.
Re: I won't.
Frissen - 9 years ago
Laz, to me the Lagaay design interior is a work of art, really, and it is obviously lost in the 987, now on the 981 is thanks to an excersice called Panamera that it gets a good interior but the 986 interior is simply epic imo
I think the 981 got many of the issues I have always complained about resolved, like its own doors that integrate to the lines of the body, still with a borrowed door from the 996 the 986 does a good job integrating magnificent lines...
post pics of your Boxster and give us an opinion what you think is best of your own Boxster... all models, be gentle, lets keep this thread civilized and fun...

I personally love the real Porsche feel the Boxster brings, the engine being so close to the backseat is an awesome feel, handling is superb and to me reliabilty has been good... After 15 years I enjoy getting into my 986 everytime and mine is no garage queen, no

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2015 11:04AM by Frissen. (view changes)

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Looks like you had Raggtopped and nice coat of wax. Love the way the water pearls on the paint when it's cared for.
I really, really like that colour. awesome looking Boxster
Re: Call me crazy...
newt - 9 years ago
What I like about my Boxster? When I was 14 (I'm 56 now) I heard about the Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving and I badly wanted to do something like that. In my Boxster, I CAN! This is one of my favorite pics from my first DE seven years ago....near the top of the Climbing Esses at VIR....What a hoot!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2015 10:59PM by newt. (view changes)
... Since the Boxster came first, the doors are originals.
The 996 borrowed them to integrate into their design.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
I was hoping for some type of car-to-car DNA crossover, but guess I didn't park my 986 close enough.

Jim, 2001 Boxster S, 1973 Triumph TR6, 1956 Triumph TR3
I've had some air cooled flat six dreams over the winter but after yesterday's inaugural Boxster run ... just can't imagine parting with my '99. Born on date is in July '99 so last month of production for this gen 1 car which was new to me at 44K miles after a 4 year lease. Now at 75K miles ... those curves never get old. Every once in a while, I pull myself up close to the steering wheel to see the sloping hood. And the view of those flanks in the rear view mirror ... nice! I'm just hoping my original water pump gets me back to Indiana this summer. At least I changed the coolant last fall. There seem to be two camps on this board ... the don't fix it if it ain't broke philosophy and the preventative replacement approach. At least I had the AOS replaced when I did the clutch and IMS retrofit about 4 years ago.

More snaps from my first ride yesterday ...

Just like opening a late Christmas present. smiling smiley

You've summed up the beauty of the Boxster. It's such a classic, but timeless roadster design. Glad you had a nice day to get your beauty out for a topless run.

Can't believe it's now over 12 years old. Still get that excited feeling driving top down through the tree lined twistys. Love my 986.
I mostly agree
Boxsterra - 9 years ago
My preferences:
Front: 987 (headlight shape, trunk line are better)
Side: 986 (I just don't like the side scoop on the 987)
Dash: 986 (Simpler look, less obtrusive vents, fewer buttons)
Roll hoops: 986 (Rounded looks better than angled)
Seats: 987 (More supportive)
Rear: 986 (Lines are simpler, more evocative)
Engine / suspension: 987
Wheel well arches (finishing off of the edges): 986. Width on 986 is ~1/2". Later generations much larger. Double?
Side mirrors: 986. Less busy design.
Front grilles: 986. Just the right size. Later generations are humongous.
Horsepower: Later generations. smiling smiley
Rear window: Later generations, hands down.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2015 11:41AM by Tony in Whittier. (view changes)
The aesthetically dramatic rear section rise of the 981 Boxster is also problematic. There's a left-blend downhill entry onto a major road near me that I simply avoid now that I have the 981. The right side mirror doesn't help either, because of the car's approach attitude. It's a bit mitigated with the top down, but the rising profile is the main issue. Also, the stock mesh windstop make the rear view look blurry, like you can't focus your eyes, but I've got Pedro's TechNoWind which helps a lot.

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Although the TechNoWind wasn't back in yet. It comes out for the really cold months: the better to get passenger compartment heat to the back window; helping the defrost/defogging. It was ≈ 62º F when this picture was taken, but there were more snowfalls to come.

Sweet.....too great a car to be put away just because of some white stuff winking smiley

Seems to me there's a lot of snow in Germany, and somehow these cars survive without being put in hibernation.

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2015 11:56AM by Gary in SoFL. (view changes)
I kinda like my old version too... It's nice and curvy!
Got to love those curves of the 987.

No matter where I go, this 987 always draws the attention.cool smiley..and yes the tortoise woneye popping smiley

MIKELLIG
Love your first picture. It could be used for a Panorama cover.
One of my "neighbors"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2015 12:15AM by Laz. (view changes)
Laz
Love your first picture. It could be used for a Panorama cover.
One of my "neighbors"

Thanks Laz....It is one of my favorites..My daughter took it with her Nikon DX70...along with my 1st favorite..

This is close as I got to the snapper...I think a bit of Raggtop would help.

MIKELLIG
BLKBOXS

and yes the tortoise woneye popping smiley

Mike, that would not have been the case if you'd pushed the pedal on the right. winking smiley

Yes they do!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2015 12:40PM by Pedro (Weston, FL). (view changes)
Even next to the mighty 991TT the 986 looks amazing
I substantially favor the earlier 986.

It is more visceral for me. Can I explain it - well - no. But if you have to explain....
The 986 curvy sports car is for car guys who like to mod them and go fast; 981's are for cruisers with baseball caps who like to be seen in them and polish more than drive. smileys with beer

... but I can't remember if I've ever polished my car.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
You're trying to keep the car completely stock.
All that driving doesn't leave much time for polishing, either: Hasn't been done since last Spring. This weekend my friend with my old 986 and I are going to do both cars.

Those are treks, not cruises, and most enjoyable ones, I bet, and your baseball cap sure didn't look like this: cool smiley

the finger smiley *NM*
Gary in SoFL - 9 years ago
Does Gary have any more of that color?
I only wish I had more of that color....

the color I was referring to is blonde.
I'm sure that thought never crossed Gary's mind. winking smiley
Or yours tongue sticking out smiley

Gary,

Is that a Canadian flag on your polo shirt?

MIKELLIG
BLKBOXS
Gary,

Is that a Canadian flag on your polo shirt?

Of course...American and Canadian. I'll wear it at BRBS. smileys with beer

Gary in SoFL
The 986 curvy sports car is for car guys who like to mod them and go fast; 981's are for cruisers with baseball caps who like to be seen in them and polish more than drive. smileys with beer

Not only that, but we 981 drivers even arrange to do our cruising though the car wash to keep em nice and shiny clean. We just like to cruise so we can enjoy the scenery. I know what you're going to say, Gary. We're wusses for driving with the top up here.

[www.youtube.com]

Of course we will drive them with the top down too. Nothing like a refreshing 40 degree day in the sunshine. ...and yes. Like Pedro, I was wearing a hat.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2015 12:33PM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login