Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Coolant drop thread.
Gasoline mileage drop thread.
Oil drop thread.
By the way, I haven't done the +100 mile post-Easter trip yet, but the oil level reading as of a few minutes ago, with an additional 70 miles since the reading was 1 bar down, is… perfectly full. Go figure. As discussed here, vagaries of the electronic measurement, possible defective sensor, or somehow a "ideally situated" short fill (in combination with the first two?) has now been satisfied by my top-ups. Can I let myself believe my wish that the "problem" would mysteriously go away has come true?
Yes, it's reasonable to believe the 'problem' (to the extent there ever was one) has remedied itself.

My 987 would occasionally show oil down a bars, or two or three. I never knew quite why. Hot? Cold? Slightly non-level surface?

I soon learned not to react quickly; invariably, it would return to the top bar. Wonderful motor - never burned or used an oil at all.

How I wish the car were still here so that I could fuss over it. There's a lesson there, boys and girls. Love the car and don't agonize over the small stuff. Pay attention to it, for sure, but don't let it spoil your day, nor the enjoyment of such a superb car.
Having oil is way more essential to the health of a motor than gasoline. (Yeah, maybe fuel pumps don't like to run dry, but that's nothing compared to what insufficient oil can do.) I'm still counting on the 9A1 to be "bulletproof," especially considering I don't stress it. I've redlined it a few times recently, including a couple vroom-vrooms sitting in the driveway after having driven more than enough to fully heat the motor. Gee, could just that make the motor pass oil? Again not a hint of blue smoke, and I'd think there would've been a lot going by how much oil seems to have been lost.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2015 12:38PM by Laz. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login