Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
ADMIN! - It's tire time
Boxsterra - 8 years ago
at least it is for me. Every year as part of the BRBS prep I take a look at my tires and decide whether or not it's time. This year, the fronts need to be replaced.

As a good PPBB citizen I am going to click on The Tire Rack Banner Ad on this website so that the board gets a small but important contribution to help with the operational costs of running the board. Doing this does not affect the price of the tires.

Great thanks to all of the people who frequent this board for helping keep it alive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2015 09:56AM by Boxsterra. (view changes)
Was it wear or dry rot that doomed your front tires? winking smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Good question
Boxsterra - 8 years ago
The tires are old. I don't drive very much (~3k mi per year) and I don't use the brakes, only the accelerator, so the front tires take a long time to wear. They are both worn and cracked. It will be nice to have some fresh rubber to scrub off at BRBS.
... for reminding us to check the tires before we embark on our yearly pilgrimage.
I'll go check mine now.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
I wore through the rears pretty quickly, but thanks to Devin, I replaced them inexpensively.

But the fronts are starting to show some cracks. They are wearing too. I could probably string it out for another year with limited driving but ...
to a set of 18" 996 wheels that I have. I tried them on before and know they are wider and will need spacers to fit, but the question is should I do it? It will fill in the fenders and give the car that low profile look at the expense of some ride comfort I was told, any other draw backs? Thanks, Carlos
Increased risk of rim damage when you hit something. The rim is closer to the pavement.

Those are the normal comments re larger rims.
Its certainly the case for Supersports, which I'd have if they made 255/40-17, which they don;t.

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Even restricting my search to "SCCA cheater" tires and race/AX tires - very unusual types - i had nearly a dozen hits including the reputedly great Potenza RE-71s, BFG Rivals, Yoko 008Rs, Toyo 888s (my current track tire), and BFG R-1s (maybe my next....?).

So i dont see an issue with 17s.

For the record i run slightly off sizes 255/40-17 and 225/45/17 (F), except if i run showroom stock PCA AX - then i run true OEM 205/50-17, but that understeers like a pig on the track of a truffle. because Porsche wanted it that way.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2015 03:20PM by newt. (view changes)
Anything that's purchased through the TireRack link on this page gets a small donation to PB and you take advantage of any and all specials they have going on.
Tires (N-rated and non N-rated), brakes, wheels, etc.
Just make sure to use the link on this page.
Happy Porscheing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2015 12:14AM by Pedro (Weston, FL). (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login