Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Hello Everyone! from Troon in Scotland!

I recently purchased a lovely 2.7 986 in Arctic Silver Metalic/ Blue hood & leather - Pics to follow !- my first Porsche & really enjoying it so far - only 3 weeks! been on some great roads allready and it's fantastic smiling smiley

I will introduce myself better soon as i get to know the site - though I would like a little advice if ok?

>Wind Deflector[/b]: I bought a Porsche W/D kit and fitting brackets though I'm having a bit of bother getting the roll bar pads off? & are there pre drilled holes in the hoops & centre section? I read that the centre clip fits to the pad tho it can befitted to the centre part of the roll bar which make it more secure?

>I have a slight tear to the rear plastic window 2'' above fold line on L/H side at the sew line to the hood. I will (eventually) replace with glass rear & new hood but for the meantime (as it rains a lot in sunny!! Scotland I am going to repair this.

I am going to use E6000 adhesive (neatly) to seal the window (I have seen a blog on the 'rainy days' site) and wonder if anyone has done this or has any advice?

I am sure that I'll have a few other questions but I dont want to overload you too soon!

Thanks

Geachie
Sorry I can't give you any help with the wind deflector mounting.

Just wanted to welcome you to Pedro's Board. Arctic Silver - one of the absolute best colours for a Boxster. thumbs up. Looking forward to some pictures.

You're the second Scot to join in the last week. Must be Jackie Stewart out there recruiting people to join our crowd. smiling smiley

Hope someone in the group has an answer for you.
Getting the roll bar pads off and back on is easy. There are 3 holes on each of the hoop pads, and 2 (i think) on the center pad. I use a flat bladed screwdriver which I cover in electrical tape to prevent scratching the pain. Insert the screwdriver between the pad and the roll bar and pry the pad away. It helps to start at one end or the other (not in the middle of the pad) and pop the pad out one pin at a time. Once you get the pad off, there is a small plastic insert which goes back in the hole on the roll bar. Insert the plastic insert back in the hole before reinstalling the pads. To reinstall, simply line up the pin on the pad with the hole on the roll bar and hit it with your hand.

I cannot say whether it wil help wiht you windscreen install however and I cannot help you with your window repair.

Good Luck
Oh and Welcome to the board! Are you Rangers fan or Celtic?...or Hearts and Hibs?
No advise on the E6000 but I thought I would mention that I used it to seal a small crack in my rear window the other day. My own fault - I was too impatient to do some work on the car and tried to put the roof in service position when it was obviously too cold out.

Chris - '01 Boxster - Seal Grey / Black / Black ; '87 944 Turbo (track beast) ; '86 944 - needs a new home!
That fix we did with the E6000 is STILL holding amazingly enough! The rear window has gotten much foggier since then, but as the crack had not gotten any bigger, it seemed a shame to replace the top :-) The only tip is to apply the E6000 to both sides of the plastic.

As for the wind deflector clips...we have never bothered to drill the holes to bolt the clips down and have not had any problem in the 14 years we have had the car. However, one of the clips did fall out...not because of the install, but because one of the independent garage guys working on the car didn't know how to remove the plastic deflector and lost it. Here is a write up of the "second" install:

[www.rainydaymagazine.com]
See the section at the end (Update...) :
[rainydaymagazine.com]

The E6000 fix is obvious best and less ugly looking when the cracks are small, but it seems to do a decent job if the cracks are along the seams. One those along the bottom is almost 2" long!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2015 01:55PM by RainyDayGarage. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login