Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Have not been here in a while.Still have my 1997 Boxster that I ordered in January 1997 and took delivery of in August 1997.
My Tiptronic which I thought was pretty bullet proof started slipping between 3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th gears at 63K.
Could see the tach rise and feel lack of power and slipping.. Continued to get worse as it started to really slip and chatter between shifts. Took it to the dealer where they read a fault code 70.

They noticed the pan seal was weeping. I had changed a leaking seal seal before at 34K in 2006.
We decided to do a transmission service on it and the transmission felt much better but there was the chatter and stuttering between 3rd-4th and 4th-5th. I brought it back. Final verdict. The transmission needs to be replaced. Dealer quoted $15,000 which I'm not sure included labor. Ridiculous and not an option.

I have several options 1)sell the car for parts and scrap it 2) sell it as is, the motor is still good 3)locate a used transmission and take a risk 4)rebuild the transmission and/or swap it out for a rebuilt one. Cost for that is about $5,700-$7,500. Car is in excellent condition otherwise but probably only worth $6 or $7K running.
I'm reading conflicting info on rebuilt transmissions. I had an Audi mechanic tell me to forget it. The valve bodies in rebuilt transmissions are problems and don't last.
I was always concerned I would get hit with the IMS issue. This is just as bad if not worse. Soured on Porsche. This will be my last Porsche.

These 986/996 series cars were not Porsche's proudest moment. I know a few of you have had good luck with your cars but I just joined the long list of "screwed" owners. I get 250,000-350,000 miles out of my 1980s Mercedes transmissions so I know how to drive and maintain cars.
The dealer thinks what happened is that the discs failed due to a lack of lubrication. Seems even a little loss of fluid can ruin your day. Moral of the story: if your transmission pan seal is leaking get it fixed right away. It was not leaking last service. Also, don't believe the lifetime transmission fluid nonsense. Service it at least every 30K miles or five years or you might find yourself where I am,
So what would you all do? Any suggestions or know of folks that specialize in these Porsche transmissions? I'm in the Bay area.
... los miles tranny from a reputable source such as Parts Heaven, Oklahoma Foreign or LA Dismantlers.
They will sell you the transmission with a 30 or 60 day warranty.
Just put a new filter and fresh fluid (full synthetic) and you should be ready to go for not much dough.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: Find a ...
patrick - 8 years ago
Pedro (Weston, FL)
... los miles tranny from a reputable source such as Parts Heaven, Oklahoma Foreign or LA Dismantlers.
They will sell you the transmission with a 30 or 60 day warranty.
Just put a new filter and fresh fluid (full synthetic) and you should be ready to go for not much dough.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro
Thanks Pedro. Geez I wish I lived near you. The only Tip transmission that will fit in this car is one from a 1997-1999. I believe Porsche went to a Mercedes transmission after that. If I'm lucky, I could find a low mileage one and be on my way again for three grand or so but being the car is 18 years old I would think it is unlikely.
[europeantransmissionscom.x-shops.com]
Looks like they rebuild with OEM parts and Dyno test them.
Sounds like you got a very rare failure, happens to many car makes. To put the blame on Porsche for this failure is unfair I would say, not their fault something in the outsourced transmission failed. As you said, the Tiptronics have a reputation for being bulletproof, so I say follow Pedros advice, source a used unit from a dismantler. Not sure how good of a shade tree mechanic you are, but a transmission swap could be done in your driveway if you wanted. I know Jay on here did his 3.4L swap in his driveway off ramps, several times!
To me, the car has given you almost 20 years of, I'm assuming, enjoyment, and as you said, is virtually worthless sale-wise. So why give up on the old gal? If you have the room, get the tranny, get some ramps, an engine support bar from Harbor Freight ($79), a transmission jack ($99 harbor freight), and a Boxster Haynes manual, and plug away at it. I'm sure you would be able to enlist the help of others in your area, if you lived near me, I'd lend ya a hand! In the end, you'll have your car for hopefully another 60-70k miles. Also be a good time to put in a Pedro IMS fix.
What's a plane ticket from Florida to where you are? Could always import a Pedro for a weekend!

Steve
Guards Red 1999
I'm not a race car driver, but I play one in 2nd and 3rd gear grinning smiley
986rgt
Sounds like you got a very rare failure, happens to many car makes. To put the blame on Porsche for this failure is unfair I would say, not their fault something in the outsourced transmission failed. As you said, the Tiptronics have a reputation for being bulletproof, so I say follow Pedros advice, source a used unit from a dismantler. Not sure how good of a shade tree mechanic you are, but a transmission swap could be done in your driveway if you wanted. I know Jay on here did his 3.4L swap in his driveway off ramps, several times!
To me, the car has given you almost 20 years of, I'm assuming, enjoyment, and as you said, is virtually worthless sale-wise. So why give up on the old gal? If you have the room, get the tranny, get some ramps, an engine support bar from Harbor Freight ($79), a transmission jack ($99 harbor freight), and a Boxster Haynes manual, and plug away at it. I'm sure you would be able to enlist the help of others in your area, if you lived near me, I'd lend ya a hand! In the end, you'll have your car for hopefully another 60-70k miles. Also be a good time to put in a Pedro IMS fix.
What's a plane ticket from Florida to where you are? Could always import a Pedro for a weekend!
You are right Porsche did not make this transmission. I believe Audi made it, a ZF transmission, but it is not the same I'm told as what was used in Audis. The electronics and maybe other things are different. Yes, a failure is pretty rare in these but they happen. The dealer has seen lots of failed Tiptronics in 986 and 996.
I would happily pay for a plane ticket to San Francisco for Pedro and even a companion. I just don't have the ramps and tools. The dealer said these are a little more complicated to take out than a 5 speed. My cars still runs fine and could be taken someplace with a lift.
Pedro is right on. I don't know about Tiptronics, but a used manual 5-speed can be had for $700-$800. If you don't have the inclination / friends / tools + information to swap it at home, it should only be a few hours labor for a mechanic, so I would think you'd be out less than $2000 at most. So I'd say find a low mileage used transmission and have someone throw it in, and keep enjoying your car! Even if you are unlucky enough to source a used transmission that was abused and fails the day after the used warranty period, you haven't spent much on it.

Where are you in the Bay Area? Here are a two good non-dealer places you can go to or talk to:
- Flintworks (Campbell) (Alden Flint) Alden once sourced a used transmission for me and installed it, all within a week.
- Pacific Power Motorsports (Walnut Creek) (Eric Leman) Eric just did my right side wheel bearings.
I have not been to these places but worth a call:
- Porboys (Oakland)
- Heyer Performance (Mountain View)
Trygve (Oakland, CA)
Pedro is right on. I don't know about Tiptronics, but a used manual 5-speed can be had for $700-$800. If you don't have the inclination / friends / tools + information to swap it at home, it should only be a few hours labor for a mechanic, so I would think you'd be out less than $2000 at most. So I'd say find a low mileage used transmission and have someone throw it in, and keep enjoying your car! Even if you are unlucky enough to source a used transmission that was abused and fails the day after the used warranty period, you haven't spent much on it.

Where are you in the Bay Area? Here are a two good non-dealer places you can go to or talk to:
- Flintworks (Campbell) (Alden Flint) Alden once sourced a used transmission for me and installed it, all within a week.
- Pacific Power Motorsports (Walnut Creek) (Eric Leman) Eric just did my right side wheel bearings.
I have not been to these places but worth a call:
- Porboys (Oakland)
- Heyer Performance (Mountain View)
Thanks Trygve. I remember you and we may have even met at a Babblers event or at the original Boxsters have landed in Vegas.
I live in the east Bay about eight miles from Walnut Creek. Thanks for the info on Pacific Power Motorsports. I'll contact them. Actually I did speak to Alden at Flintworks he quoted me a price of $7500 for a rebuilt one with installation. I also spoke to Hi-Tec price was $5700.
Rebuilt vs used
grant - 8 years ago
You'll likely save quite a bit by just buying a known good one and dropping it in. A good guy can do it in about 3 hours, if its similar to a manual.

Now, there is some risk and less long-term durability with the used one most probably, but, if it gives you another 10 years and 60k is that good enough?

Just a thought.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Just wondering, if a used 5 speed is that much cheaper, is it practical to switch a Tip car to a manual tranny?

Lawdevil
2013 Boxster S - Agate Grey,
2016 Macan Turbo - jet black
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta
Not sure if the holes are already in the footwell for the clutch pedal. Are the axles the same length? Clutch hydraulics? I imagine a shop is gonna charge a lot more for a swap like that, than a straight forward part for part replacement.

Steve
Guards Red 1999
I'm not a race car driver, but I play one in 2nd and 3rd gear grinning smiley
Lawdevil & CURVN8R
Just wondering, if a used 5 speed is that much cheaper, is it practical to switch a Tip car to a manual tranny?
I looked into putting a 5 speed in my car. Dealer said the wiring harness, steering wheel, instrument cluster, electronics, ECU all different. It is possible but not practical.The Tip is a totally different animal
Lawdevil & CURVN8R

You considering finally upgrading from that automatic that your wife never drives? drinking smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
My first Boxster contributed one. IIRC it had 29k on it.

TIPs do not have a bad reputation.

Yes TIPs are more work and thus $$ to replace than the 5-speed.
For a used one. Not that far from you. I bet they offer some sort of warranty on the purchase.
Tony in Whittier
For a used one. Not that far from you. I bet they offer some sort of warranty on the purchase.
Thanks Tony. I'll check them out.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login