Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Another loaded question – kind of like what oil, filter, or tires should I buy:
I need shocks/struts for my 2001 Boxster S with 125,000 miles. The fronts are pretty much wasted and one of the rears is now leaking. I am considering selling the car in the near future (this fall), have stopped running SCCA slaloms in the car, and don’t do track days or DE’s. So it is pretty much a stock, daily driver.

In the past, I have used Bilsteins on the 911’s that I have owned, but there was a time when some of them would actually raise the ride height on the car.
Is this a problem with the sport or heavy duty Bilsteins on a Gen 1 Boxster?

What is the best bang for the buck on a car you might sell?
1. Stock from a dealer or supplier
2. Bilsteins
3. The used M030 struts minus springs for sale on the Parts for Sale page?
Thanks,

Jim, 2001 Boxster S, 1973 Triumph TR6, 1956 Triumph TR3
stock shocks would be the way to go. These would be the most straightforward to install and would not change the car in any substantial way. That these shocks -- using the stock springs - would not lower the car, make the ride harsh or more jarring.

Depending upon where you sourced them they would be the least expensive to purchase, too. Why sink lots of money into the car's suspension when you are going to sell the car in a little while?

I would not mix ROW30 shocks/struts with stock springs. The shocks are almost certainly valved to be compatible with the stiffer springs and with the stock springs would be less than optimum.
Thanks Marc, now if I can get the Birmingham Porsche dealer's Parts Department to return my call from 6 hours ago, I'll get a price (voicemail said it was the parts manager). It didn't take long for me to remember why I don't use their services very often!
discount on the shocks.

There is ordering the parts online too. There is Suncoast and Pelican and maybe others.
I have one car with M030; i bought a car with new replacement Bilstein HDs and OEM springs installed; and i have PSS9s in that 2nd car now.

I would go M030 (match the springs to the shocks) or - follow me - PSS9s.

The Bilsteins (HD, yellow) did not, as i recall, raise the car. Bruce - do you agree? But note the OEM Bilsteins are twin-tube, the HDs are monotube HP gas.

The M030 is a great, agile setup. yes, a bit harsher than stock, but very good. Works on road, works on track. Not very low.

The PSS9s are the surprise. Set soft, they are in some ways more comfortable than M030 or even stock.
And they are adjustable to whatever height you want. Nice, IMO.

I don't follow your comment about mixing M030 with some unknown springs - the whole point of complete kits is to get critical damping engineered as a system. By mixing, you lose this - trust me, it rarely a good thing. Since the kit comes with a complete, matched set - use it. Note there is a difference in ride height between ROW M030 and M030 ( i have the USA spec). The USA spec is only about 0.3-0.4" lower than stock, but ROW kits, new, are becoming unobtanium and i could not wait.

I suspect true OEM shocks will be costly at the dealer, but they are, well, stock.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
I think you should buy my used M030 struts/shocks. They only have 40K miles on them
and 95% is freeway miles. They even still have the stickers on them. This is if you have the
M030 springs though. I'm only asking $200 plus shipping. Let me know. My phone number
is 707-994-2064. These are the ones I have advertised in the parts for sale forum.
This deal seems like a slam dunk to me.
Me three *NM*
grant - 8 years ago
Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login