Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
i have used speed bleeders and actually like them. they work just fine and you don't have all the cleanup assoiciated with the power bleeder.
My two cents...
grant - 8 years ago
I prefer the motiv for one simple reason: it keeps the system under constant pressure and therefore eliminates the possibility of air getting in through a failure, dirt or error. same reason i dislike vacuum bleeders - no pressure to keep things safe.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Good point *NM*
Jayusa123 - 8 years ago
You are just bleeding a little, and not flushing/exchanging a litre.

Just pump up the bottle with air and attach to reservoir. the porsche reservoir is sufficiently large to do a lot of bleeding.
I do it all the time.

On modern Audis, beware, the capacity is about 1/6 th and you can easily run it dry, and push air into the master and (ugh) the ABS pump.

Dont do that.

Grant

Grant

which takes a tad more patience refilling reservoir occasionally. Not only is it better than big clean up but you also save not spending $ on cleaning agent for tank and lines. Further, you're more cognizant and keep a closer eye on tank/pressure/fluid level checking more often. As opposed to haplessly moving on to next corner where a problem will only be discovered when it's too late possibly requiring tow to correct...

Heck even Motive recommends using, in essence, "dry".

[www.motiveproducts.com]

9. If fluid remains in the Power Bleeder tank when through: tip the tank away from fluid pick-up tube and open bleed valve closest to the master cylinder. Allow air to flow into fluid reservoir until fluid level falls just to the maximum fill level on your reservoir. Close the bleed valve and tighten to specified torque.

Granted, you have to be careful pouring brake fluid into reservoir but we always handle brake fluid w/ due care winking smiley Aside from a very favorable trade off, in my opinion, it's also easily enough done and doubly so when you run something which comes in container smaller than 1ℓ ...

On Audi reference... yeah, I'd be a little more cautious running dry.

YMMV
I use the dry method for bleeding (after a track weekend, for example) and the wet when performing a full fluid swap just to lessen the chance I will run the reservoir dry.

Chris - '01 Boxster - Seal Grey / Black / Black ; '87 944 Turbo (track beast) ; '86 944 - needs a new home!
I use hot water and let it dry - thoroughly. Works fine and has for 6 years and dozens of flushes.

If you want to be doubly careful - Shop Rite sells a good cleaning agent by the 40 oz bottle (rubbing alcohol)

For a flush, i really do prefer to fill it up and let it run. Then drain the excess back into the can, flush with hot water, and dry really, really well (sunlight is a plus)

Grant

Grant

Years ago had hoses deteriorated over time on one - used it wet. Of course hoses stained blue etc even after cleaning. Since then I just use dry. That's kinda the nice thing either method works and one should use whichever they are more comfortable with for specific task. If just doing for first time or two I'd recommend wet as precaution since less chance of error... then again I know a guy who swore he couldn't make it work right wet. Needless to say he's not one I call if ever I need a hand with something mechanical winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login