Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Top fix
BobbyP - 8 years ago
I have been on the board as bobtesa since the 1990's (the original board and Pedro's continuation). I got a new pc and being IT illiterate, ended up coming in now as BobbyP. In any event, I haven't posted for awhile, but have something I think may help folks with the small issue I fixed. This might be a bit hard to describe well, but here goes...

This issue is with my 2008s. When I attempt to close the top, the slim plastic edges of the top stayed outside of the wide plastic strips that the windows close into. I posted about this problem a few months ago, but only now got around to fixing it. Apparently there are a few ways to fix this, I'm posting my solution which does the same as other fixes, because it's very easy to do.

The problem arises when the elastic that holds the edges of the top in place stretch a bit too much. You can see the elastic pieces by opening the top about 1/2 way and undoing two small Velcro pieces that hold the top liner in place. The elastic is a thin black piece about 6 inches long. I has several perforations. It looks like Porsche designed the piece so that as the elastic stretches, you can use the other perforations to shorten it restoring the proper tension. However, I couldn't loosen the screw that would allow me to do this. I used a piece of plastic electric harness (don't know what it's really called, but they are thin pieces of plastic that self feed to form harnesses for wires, obtained at any hardware store). I looped the harness through two perforations in the elastic and tightened it a bit until the top closed properly. There is more room to tighten the harness later as needed if the elastic again expands too much

I have no idea how permanent this solution is, but hopefully it will work for awhile. It looks like when the elastic finally plays out, the fix will require a bit more effort.
Re: Top fix p.s.
BobbyP - 8 years ago
I am not on this board much anymore. If you have this problem and think my solution might help you, but it's not clear enough, please pm me. I'd me happy to talk to anyone about the problem and solutions. Bob
It had something to do with the elastic pieces but I missed the details.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login