Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Today I installed an aftermarket window regular, passenger side, on my 2000 Boxster. Took me all afternoon but the window works great. Alas, when I started the car to go for a spin, I noticed the airbag light stayed on. Obviously, I messed something up. I'm not sure what what to do next. Any suggestions?
Kinnick4Ever
Today I installed an aftermarket window regular, passenger side, on my 2000 Boxster. Took me all afternoon but the window works great. Alas, when I started the car to go for a spin, I noticed the airbag light stayed on. Obviously, I messed something up. I'm not sure what what to do next. Any suggestions?

Not sure you messed up anything. Or maybe you did. Perhaps you disturbed the door's airbag, disconnected it or somehow damaged the wiring, or left the ignition key on or you didn't disconnect the battery first before working on the door/window?

After you disconnect the battery IIRC the guideline is to wait some time to ensure there is no residual electrical power in the airbag system that might result -- somehow -- in a deployment.

A start would be to have the airbag controller module errors read. If there are any -- and there probably are -- this will suggest what's wrong.

AFIAK, it takes a Porsche diagnostic computer or a Durametric to clear the airbag codes and extinguish the warning light. Trouble is of course if there is an error the light will come back on.
Pull codes with a detailed reader (PST2, Durametric, anything that handles Porsche proprietary airbag codes) and see what you find.

When i pulled them i knew the cause and the specific bag.

If you disconnect any sensors (belt buckles, etc) or any airbag wiring with power connected, you will get a light.
The airbag is inoperable until you correct the perceived fault.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Thanks much. I am looking into having the codes read.

BTW, I did disconnect the battery for 20 minutes prior to removing the side airbag. However, installing the regulator required me to re-activate the battery and turn on the ignition key before reconnecting the air bag (the ignition key must be on to finesse re-re-installation of the window). The airbag remains disconnected because its wiring connects via the door panel, which is removed until the very end of the project.
Removing the airbag and turning on the ignition.
This warning light will not self-correct. You need to have it reset with a PIWIS, PST-II or Durametric.
We generally do not disconnect the airbag when replacing/repairing the door's internals.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Thanks Pedro. I have had the airbag light reset. Cost me $50 but all is good! As for removing the side airbag, the problem I ran into was that the airbag fixture and its four bolts were mounted atop the sticky protective inner door lining. I couldn't see a way around either cutting the lining around the air bag bag fixture--which I didn't want to do for obvious reasons--versus simply removing the airbag (at which point there was no option but to disconnect the air bag's electrical connector in order to remove the door panel). Maybe there's a better way but I couldn't see it. Whatever, it was almost worth 50 bucks just to see the air bag light not come back on once they reset it. What a relief!
... unbolt the airbag without disconnecting it and hang it from the door frame with a simple wire hanger.
This allows you to remove the door liner without disconnecting the airbag.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login