Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Whoa!
grant - 8 years ago
No, really.

Some time back i asked about various track brake pads, specifically Porterfield R-4s. Well, i just did a lot of work on my track car (GT3 control arms, more caster, more camber, overall brake refurb, R4 pads).. I took the car out for a quick test drive, mostly to make sure all the suspension work and my "carpenters level, iPhone and string" alignment was sufficient to get me to my race shop for a real alignment. (note: it was amazingly close)

Anyway, since no one here has apparently ever used R4s, i'll give my "all od 10 miles" report.

1. No vibration dampers on front pads
2. so far, no noise
3. Holy Whoa Batman! when you cinch the reins, these things haul the car down, yesterday. translation: significantly higher Cf than the pads i have used before (OEM: Textar, brembo, and for some time now track: StopTech 309s). Vastly more stop, with vastly less pedal effort. I'm sure i'll screw up once or twice before i'm accustom to this, but i'm very optimistic that these will allow me to be even better at Heal-&-toe since its not a workout machine and i can be more subtle with the throttle.

Cost is much more than street or ST 309s, but much less than, say, the go-to pad of the PCA set, Pagid Yellow. We shall see, but i expect much more life from them as well, and they are reputed to be rotor freindly. Then again, who advertises "my pads eat your rotors for breakfast"?

I think these will work OK for the street, but then again, ask me when its 20 degF outside, not 75.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
What a podiatrist does when a patient doesn't pay.
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Grant

With use they are now quite noisy. Once alignment was really done and i could trust the car, - WOW! I love this setup with the GT3 control arms.
Not sure also what the subjective impact of the caster is, but the linearity and feel is much better - i actually feel the tires rolling over less. Looking forward to driving this with some gusto on track.

~ -2.2 front; -1.8 rear

Grant

Grant

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login