Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
A headlight bulb blew over the weekend. Easy fix - right? Ah, no.

One side went in like butter. No issue.

The other side was a friggin' bear - or worse. First, it was simply jammed. Just jammed. It felt like the service tool "stripped" in the process of removing the light.

But that was not the big issue because a simple deep socket worked just fine.

The big issue was the wiring harness mount had become brittle over the years. Basically the harness terminates at a vertical post. The light cluster slides rearward and the harness is engaged as the cluster slides.

Well, the plug has become so brittle that the edging (the part on which the mounting hardware rides) basically fell apart. The attached image, it is the blue plug which failed. The oval portion edges basically broke off. The main mounting seals are fine - as are the electrical connections.

[www.design911.co.uk]

As a result, the harness will not remain on the vertical post. Of course clearance stinks and it took about a half an hour to determine what was happening.

The fix was technically easy, but a royal PITA. I had to remove the top part of the vertical post. I had to loosen the inner fender well to get access. Then, and only then, could I get my hand in to manually insert the harness in the rear plug of the light cluster.

Every thing works fine for the moment. But you know I will forget the next time.....

Maybe time to invest in a xenon conversion?

What a nuisance....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2015 10:51AM by JMstamford,ct. (view changes)
Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Of course they are ambers though...

Steve
Guards Red 1999
I'm not a race car driver, but I play one in 2nd and 3rd gear grinning smiley
As is the black plastic tray.

And mine are amber too. I am a charter memeber the save the ambers club.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login