Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Getting some intermittent whirling sounds from the front passenger area...AC/heat is off, so it is not the fan.
Loud enough to hear it with the top down. There is no change in the speed of the whirling sound regardless of car speed

Wondering if it could be from the fuel pump.
Anyone with a similar experience?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2015 11:41PM by RainyDayGarage. (view changes)
Only warning I got when the pump failed on my Boxster was the sound of the engine dying, then just cranking sounds as I tried to restart it.

Are you sure the radiator fans are off? If they are then the noise could be from a noisy fuel pump. The pump sits on the bottom of the fuel tank so the tech can give a listen with the car in the air and the engine running.
Good point Mark...will check that.
.. the fuel pump, on those cars under the car toward the LR wheel, began making more noise, then intermittent noise, as it aged and died.

So yes, the phenomenon occurs. Now, i don't rightly know exactly where the pump is on our cars, but given the fuel tank location, your guess could be good.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
grant
Now, i don't rightly know exactly where the pump is on our cars, but given the fuel tank location, your guess could be good.

Grant

The fuel pump is located in the fuel tank, sitting on the bottom. This is why you don't want to let you car run too low or out of fuel. The fuel helps keep the pump cool and also acts as a lubricant for the moving parts. That's why running the fuel pump dry can damage it.
who want to walk for gas when you're miles from nowhere.

Ran out of gas once with my '61 Beetle (no fuel gauge - just a marked off ruler and a switch for "reserve".), Fortunately, I was only about a mile from the nearest gas station. Lesson learned.
... you are probably coming up on somewhere.

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
And, you can only go halfway into a forest: after that you're coming back out.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login