Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Crooster's post got me to thinking about this one.

When I asked my insurance agent. He said that if someone really want access to your convertible in the garage, the easiest way, if it's locked, is through the roof. Lots of $$$$ to fix.

A number of years ago, we had a break-in. I found my scarf (it was winter) in the back seat of my car. I found that strange, until I realized that they were likely planning to use it to help break a window to get into the car. Fortunately, the car was unlocked. I never keep anything valuable in it, but they did take a few things from the glove compartment.

Any reason you can think of that it might be better to lock the car in a garage?
Guenter in Ontario
Crooster's post got me to thinking about this one.

When I asked my insurance agent. He said that if someone really want access to your convertible in the garage, the easiest way, if it's locked, is through the roof. Lots of $$$$ to fix.

A number of years ago, we had a break-in. I found my scarf (it was winter) in the back seat of my car. I found that strange, until I realized that they were likely planning to use it to help break a window to get into the car. Fortunately, the car was unlocked. I never keep anything valuable in it, but they did take a few things from the glove compartment.

Any reason you can think of that it might be better to lock the car in a garage?

At home, the only time I lock the car is if I don't plan on driving it for a while and don't feel like plugging in the trickle charger.
Same here.
grant - 8 years ago
The sleep mode is useful. Aside from that, no.

But it truly depends on your neighborhood.

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
I didn't leave anything of value in the car so had someone broken in to my house there was no obvious reason to break into the car. Had he broken into the car he would have set off the alarm.

Locking the car puts the car into the lowest power mode very quickly so there is less battery power loss with the car parked.

I was careful to never leave the spare key handy to avoid someone breaking into my house and using my Boxster as a getaway car. (Or one of my other cars if I was out in the Boxster.)
I leave my top down in my garage at home (single family house) and work (underground parking in a secure buidling). Unless you park in a common garage in an apartment complex, I don't see the need to lock your car, even for insurance purposes. The alarm will drain the battery and it's frustrating if you are in the garage and need to get something out of your car. Plus, as your agent indicates, the easiest way in is via the roof. I had a coworker who parked his Jeep Wrangler on the street in a fairly urban suburban area. After his roof was slashed once, he kept the Jeep unlocked no matter where it was parked. He, too, didn't keep anything of value in it, so the expense and hassle of replacing the roof was all for no gain on the would-be thief's part.
Even when I'd go to a store where I knew some "unsavory happenings" happened in the parking lot, I'd leave the car unlocked and the top down. I took it anywhere I was going, no restrictions. No obsessions over where I parked either. One of the advantages of being a third owner. It was just a car even if a wonderful one.

Only time I locked it was when there was something of value in one of the trunks.

Winter hibernation was doors unlocked under a cover.

My attitude is, if you want it that badly and you can figure out how to steal it, just take it and don't foul it up.

My wife, OTOH, always locks and makes me lock.
I usually lock it, even though my bedroom is directly above. Top up or down in the garage doesn't matter to me. How it was driven in is how it stays. When it's parked in public, I generally keep it the way I drove it, with some considerations. If it's say, a Friday night and the car's parked at a restaurant, I'll likely put the top up: I don't need to have somebody half in the bag leaning in to take a look while his belt buckle scratches the finish. I also don't need to have somebody suffer from sudden reverse peristalsis while having a look. Also, years ago with the 986, as I was walking toward a nightspot, some girl literally climbed into the car, fortunately not causing damage. I do occasionally consider the "top down so a thief doesn't also wreck the top" argument, and just make the decision based on the circumstances. The car is rarely in a situation that I consider worrisome.

If the concern is the alarm running down the battery, our cars go into a sleep mode after about a week (hence having to key it open,) thereby minimizing battery drain. If it's going to unused for much longer than that, it should be on a maintainer.

Porsche isn't clear on this, at least when I was ordering, but the 981 Boxster may have interior radar as standard or as an option. If it's available, it'd be nice if they come up with a "red clip" for it. I can't recall a bird or moth ever setting off the alarm in the 986 although once a relative impulsively threw his baseball cap into it and almost keeled over when the honking started.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2015 11:24PM by Laz. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login