Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Hi all

So after saving $600 in repairs at BRBS on a new door latch assembly (Thanks for installing, Pedro!), I immediately gave it back 24 hours later when my axle separated from the transmission on the Parkway (got incredibly lucky that I glided into a scenic viewpoint with full cell reception). I made the 700 mile trip back to NYC ok, but it's apparent that my clutch is on its last legs, the RMS is leaking, and it will actually be comforting to replace the IMS and reduce that worry a bit (that was my first thought when I heard that thunk on the parkway).

Can anyone recommend a repair shop to get the work done in the NY/NJ area (where I live) or elsewhere in the Northeast (I have family in Boston)?

You can only imagine dealer costs near Manhattan, and I no longer trust an indie I went to in Queens. Other tips/recommendations for those that have had this work done welcome.

2003 Boxster S with 81,000 miles.

Thanks

Jim
Maurice told us about it on our drive back North. If you seriously think you would do this work up in our area (Boston) I would recommend EPE in Natick, MA. Jerry's shop does all work on my car and is also the premier shop for 959 work. I was there right before BRBS and there was 3 of them in the shop.

-Rey
@Rey ... yes, I feel like my luck was unbelievable. I literally drove for more than an hour on the Parkway twisties (that was the fun part), but at any point could have been stranded on a blind corner, with nowhere to pull off, or 100 miles from my destination, or somewhere with no cell service. So to pull off at a scenic viewpoint, have the first guy that came up to me diagnose the problem on the spot (he said his Porsche did the same thing recently), only wait 30 minutes for a flatbed, get free towing (thanks Geico) to the dealer, and then have my longtime buddy pick me up and go straight for a cold beer, well it could have been a lot worse.

Thanks for the recommendation, possible option to drop it off in Natick on the way home.
Without any recommendations, there is a site that will at least list P-car shops in your area.

http://www.pcarshops.com/
...please save the old one for inspection.
Chatham, NJ - Jay "The Popular Mechanic" - Did our IMS tech session FWIW
Peapack NJ - Gene "Autohaus". Did my IMS when he was in Chatham. Mostly an aircooled guy
Rockaway NJ - Mike "Powertech" - top notch race shop does zillions of all the above.
???

All active PCA members, tech hosts, and good guys. All different.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2015 06:06PM by grant. (view changes)
- Thanks for that site Mike... knew there had to be something like that somewhere

- Good point Stefan, I'll have them save the IMS (I've always saved and inspected the oil filter all these years)

- Myself and the car are in Manhattan Grant, so my answer is kind of "within a reasonable distance of the city."

Since I'm not really loyal to any one shop, I figured I'd start here in search of the mythical "Oh! You definitely need to go to X garage... 10 people on the boards have had their clutch done there, everyone is happy, they run a $399 special for cars with red seat belts, they serve warm chocolate chip cookies, give you a 918 as a loaner, and throw in a free flatscreen TV." smiling smiley
Lincoln tunnel --> NJTP South --> rte 78E --> rte 24 east --> River Road exit just past short hills mall.

At "Y" make right onto "Shunpike". Through light. Next right onto dead end street - "Commerce Street"

Pop mechanic at end, left.

Call Jay (973) 635-4740

www.thepopularmechanic.com

Say Hi

Grant

The Popular Mechamic, Jay.
He is also an authorized and recommended installer for the Direct Oil Feed (DOF).
Happy Porscheing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Grant

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login